Dwarf Gourami Attacking Gbr

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Perhoskirjoahven

Reaction score
After picking up a pair of gbr i placed them into my planted 25 gallon which tank mates are 4 pepperd cories, 1 otto, 6 black neon tetras, 1 pearl danio, a juvie rubberlip and a dwarf flame gourami who is noticably large then the rams.
However the gourami went after the female endlessly at first, fin nipping, wouldnt this be territorial agression, normal to a degree, correct? However after about two hours the gourami started to go after the male gbr and taking pecks at the mid to gill section of the female, I let this go on for a bit with the net ready. After one such peck (evermore looking like kill shots) it looked like scales might have been damaged, i had enough and removed the gourami, unfortantly this being my only tank, and with no one else wanting it, (or able to keep it) it had to be euthanized. On a light note the rams colour light up almost instantly once the gourami was removed.

Has anyone else had this problem, or was my dwarf gourami possessed. I could only find instances of bgr showing territorial agression towards the gourami, not visa versa, and never to this degree.

my bolivian ram always picked on any gourami species i introduced. i dont think mixing gouramis and any kind of rams is a good idea.

IMO you could have just removed the gourami, re-arranged the tank and then put the three fish in together. this would have solved the aggression problem for a while. The problem you had was that the gourami, being the only large fish, had claimed the tank as his territory and wasn't happy when the rams 'moved in'. In a larger tank i feel they would have been fine

Unfourtantly re-arranging wasnt an option, I wasnt going to uproot all the plants and change the driftwood after I got it to my likings.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back