Dwarf gold barbs?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I got 10 Odessa, 10 Tiger barbs, 8 Serpae Tetras and 3 Panda cories in a 75 gallon, I should have waited on buying the Pandas. The Odessa rule the tank, they are more aggressive than the Tigers. The Serpae seem a bit overwhelmed.
More aggressive than the Tigers!?
Everywhere I had read about odessa said they were the peaceful of the barb species but they were pretty nasty to the corys lol The giant danio have been a perfect match for them, neither bother one another, but the odessa are like a different fish with them around. Dithers right!?

Id love to find some females to introduce but Id have to remove some males (ive got 13) and the fenales would need to be adult. I did ask for a mix in the shop but, when males are stressed they completely lose their colour and its difficult to tell them apart

More aggressive than the Tigers!?
Everywhere I had read about odessa said they were the peaceful of the barb species

Aggressive may be too harsh, there is no fin nipping in my tank. My Odessas are very energetic and hyper, more than the Tiger barbs. A dinner time, it is a feeding frenzy with the Odessas leading the pack.

Which raises the issue of a dither fish. Excluding the Cories, all of my fish are rather hyper, there is no calming element in my tank. Not sure if I need a big guy in the tank to calm everyone down:confused: It is a new tank, 2 months old and the plants are still growing in.

They do seem confused when schooling, a few Odessas will join the Tigers which breaks up the pack.

Anyways, the breeder I talked to is selectively breeding for color each generation, it may cost me ~$150/8-10 juveniles. . Most likely the PetCo Odessas were breed in large ponds.

Aggressive may be too harsh, there is no fin nipping in my tank. My Odessas are very energetic and hyper, more than the Tiger barbs. A dinner time, it is a feeding frenzy with the Odessas leading the pack.

Which raises the issue of a dither fish. Excluding the Cories, all of my fish are rather hyper, there is no calming element in my tank. Not sure if I need a big guy in the tank to calm everyone down:confused: It is a new tank, 2 months old and the plants are still growing in.

They do seem confused when schooling, a few Odessas will join the Tigers which breaks up the pack.

Anyways, the breeder I talked to is selectively breeding for color each generation, it may cost me ~$150/8-10 juveniles. . Most likely the PetCo Odessas were breed in large ponds.
They most certainly do enjoy their food, I could feed them all day long and I don't think they'd stop!

Selective breeding for colour - I notice the odessas in your profile pic have quite a bit of blue, I assume that isn't a touched up photo then? Mine are mostly a gun-metal, red along the lateral and yellow pectoral fins with just a bright blue dot above the eyes - noticeable, but more blue would be cool. Is this the sort of colouration they'd aim for?

semifasciolatus is not a fish that grows quickly, I've kept them and recall maybe a year to get towards maximum. The gold type, often known as "schuberti" is usually a little smaller than the regular semifasciolatus, not vastly, but a little.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back