Dwarf gold barbs?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mbsqw1d

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I got these gold barbs 13th December 2020 (to be precise!) and I was expecting them to outgrow my Odessas. They don't appear to have grown that much since December and I'm starting to think they might be some sort of dwarf type? They weren't sold as such, they were sold as metallic golden barbs that would grow to 3"
Does a dwarf type exist or an I being impatient?

Snapshot:
Videoframe_20210305_182444_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

I'm not going to be helpful at all but those fish are the coolest looking fish I've seen in a while... might have to look into those guys!

I'm not going to be helpful at all but those fish are the coolest looking fish I've seen in a while... might have to look into those guys!
The Odessas? They're stunning. Best looking fish I've seen apart from Bettas. Theyre never coloured up in the shop and look nothing like their full potential

Woah... that's awesome! I'm going to go do research about them now! They are so beautiful!

Woah... that's awesome! I'm going to go do research about them now! They are so beautiful!
Don't keep them with corydoras is my only advice!

Welp... never mind then. I don't have a large enough tank for them and even if I did I have high pH water and High hardness. Might be able to find some work arounds though in the future. Besides that, they are very cool fish and I am amazed by their color. I've always liked barbs, they've always had a little place in my heart, never owned one though :(

Welp... never mind then. I don't have a large enough tank for them and even if I did I have high pH water and High hardness. Might be able to find some work arounds though in the future. Besides that, they are very cool fish and I am amazed by their color. I've always liked barbs, they've always had a little place in my heart, never owned one though :(
Someday ??

The Odessas? They're stunning. Best looking fish I've seen apart from Bettas. Theyre never coloured up in the shop and look nothing like their full potential
I bought 10 Odessas from Petco, all of them still have the female markings ie: double spots. How long did it take for the males to color up?

I still may buy more from a breeder.

I bought 10 Odessas from Petco, all of them still have the female markings ie: double spots. How long did it take for the males to color up?

I still may buy more from a breeder.
All mine are male - initially had them with corydoras and they were skittish and constantly hiding in the vallis whenever someone got close to the tank. Found that they were nipping the corys so moved them to another tank. Whilst they were the only fish in there, again, they were shy and skittish and I was close to giving up on them. As soon as I added the giant danio they were fine. Full of confidence and started colouring up. They're nearly always fully coloured up but one or two get darker and vibrant, I assume theyre the alphas in the group

Don't keep them with corydoras is my only advice!
I got 10 Odessa, 10 Tiger barbs, 8 Serpae Tetras and 3 Panda cories in a 75 gallon, I should have waited on buying the Pandas. The Odessa rule the tank, they are more aggressive than the Tigers. The Serpae seem a bit overwhelmed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back