Dwarf Corys - Can I...?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

juhill

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

I would love some dwarf corys and would like to put them in my free pfk nano. Will it be big enough for them?

Also, if it is big enough, I wanted to make this a planted tank with diy CO2 but I read this may be a bad idea for corys.

Any info would be appreciated.

thanks
Julie

i would put 10 in a PFK nano. would look really good i reckon as well. I have a co2 tank with corys in and they are perfectly fine :)

Thanks, I wasn't expecting to be able to put that many in. Which sort do you recommend? I was hoping to have around 6 that like to stay mainly at the bottom and get some other smaller fish for the middle/top?

What do you think?

Also, if I'm using a layer of something for the plants then a layer of sand, will the corys jumble it all up or do I just have to make sure the sand is deep enough for them not to do that?

Thank you :good:

personally i would only put 5 in, not as many as spooky said, and i know hes a good cory expert, but i like to give the fish planty of room to swim and enjoy the tank. are anyother fish going in there aswell, if your werent expecting that many cories to beable to put in your tank, then lowering the numbers a little wont matter.
as for the CO2 ive heard no problems arise with cories. im sure they will be fine.
my pygmy cories only move the top layer of sand a little, so the sand in yoru tank will probally be fine with plant stuff under it. if that bothered, just make the sand a little thicker.
Cory habrosus,pygmaeus,Hastatus are the three main small cories

personally i would only put 5 in, not as many as spooky said, and i know hes a good cory expert, but i like to give the fish planty of room to swim and enjoy the tank. are anyother fish going in there aswell, if your werent expecting that many cories to beable to put in your tank, then lowering the numbers a little wont matter.
as for the CO2 ive heard no problems arise with cories. im sure they will be fine.
my pygmy cories only move the top layer of sand a little, so the sand in yoru tank will probally be fine with plant stuff under it. if that bothered, just make the sand a little thicker.
Cory habrosus,pygmaeus,Hastatus are the three main small cories

Thanks fishboy619. I don't want to overstock so will prob go for 5 as I would like to put something else in there as well. I really wanted to put a betta in there but my first one died after only a couple of days so am nervous about putting another one in a tank where i can't add salt for it. Any suggestions to fish I could put in with the cories?

In my other tank I have harlequins, otos and adfs so would prefer to have something different.

They tried to deliver the tank today but no one was in so they're coming again tomorrow. Hopefully it'll all be in one piece!

Thanks again.

My tank just arrived! The delivery guy said they'd try again tomorrow but he was passing tonight so dropped it in. How good's that? But...

the lid is broken :-(

I've sent them an email, hopefully they'll send a replacement lid soon. At least I can start getting the substrate, plants and get the sponges added to my other filter.

I'm very excited :hooray: :yahoo:

Glad to hear. A few habrosus in a planted PFK nano are a great idea. In fact, it's exactly what I'm doing. Feel free to have a browse of my journal, link's in my signature.

Glad to hear. A few habrosus in a planted PFK nano are a great idea. In fact, it's exactly what I'm doing. Feel free to have a browse of my journal, link's in my signature.

I just read it all. Your tank looks lovely. Prob a little off topic here but which plants are you happiest with? I love red/purple ones but they seem hard to grow with low light. I really like the one you have that looks a bit like parsley (as you can see I'm not that good with plant names :blush: )

rasboras might be fine in a PFK, how big is the tank?
a betta should be fine if the tanks cycled and all. maybe you just had bad luck with your first one?
ottos, ADF's and maybe shrimps will live well with a betta and cories.plenty of plants will help.
shame about your hood, hope everything gets sorted.

rasboras might be fine in a PFK, how big is the tank?
a betta should be fine if the tanks cycled and all. maybe you just had bad luck with your first one?
ottos, ADF's and maybe shrimps will live well with a betta and cories.plenty of plants will help.
shame about your hood, hope everything gets sorted.

The tank is 25l. I already have rasboras in my other tank. I started off with 6 but now have 6 and two babies :wub:

I also have 2 adf's and whilst I do love them to bits, I'd like to have something different in the new one. Maybe 5 cories, a betta and a couple of shrimps? Before I started looking at fish properly I always thought I'd like neons but there's so many great fish out there, they're way down on my list now. I'd love a big enough tank to have a big shoal of cardinals but want to make sure I can look after the 2 smaller tanks properly for 12 months before I go too mad! I've been going 6 months with tank 1 so far and have only lost the betta which had a fungal infection pretty much as soon as he went in. The other guys are happy and healthy.

I'm sure they'll send me a replacement glass top but at least I can make a start without it. I think I'll be hitting my lfs in my lunch break tomorrow!

Thanks guys.

I don't know if I want any more rasboras even though I do like the ones I've got (despite them being boring old harlequins :p )

I saw the galaxy ones in my local MA yesterday but I don't want to buy them because I'm not confident I could get the breeding conditions right in the cube. I know my harlequins bred in my other tank but that was all luck and not down to me trying.

I've decided I'm definitely getting black substrate. I saw ember tetras which looked quite cute but do you think they'll be too big and that I'd be overstocked with cories as well?

Thanks OohFeeshy, I hadn't even considered just getting a piece of glass cut. How dense am I!? :blush:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back