Dwarf Cichlids

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nemo91

Reaction score
Hello all
I have a question I am going to be buying a 450litter tank but want to keep 1 of a different species. The 2 that i am looking at is the Apistogramma and the black dark knight ram? Would they fight?

Possibly. The number of litres isn't key - it's the measurement along the front glass the fish care about. For bottom favouring Apistogramma and rams, most of those litres are of no interest.
You can create zones with rocks and wood, if your tank is over one metre. The key is to break sightlines, so that the dwarf Cichlids never get a clear view of the entire tank. What an Apisto sees, it wants to control for safety, since it lives to produce young. They defend their potential nests, and are not being aggressive as we usually see it.
Rams are not nesters in caves like Apistos. That's a positive, as shared needs create conflict. Rams spawn in the open, but should be in small groups. Apistos should be in pairs., with 2 or 3 caves available per pair. The caves should always look out to an obstructed view.

Possibly. The number of litres isn't key - it's the measurement along the front glass the fish care about. For bottom favouring Apistogramma and rams, most of those litres are of no interest.
You can create zones with rocks and wood, if your tank is over one metre. The key is to break sightlines, so that the dwarf Cichlids never get a clear view of the entire tank. What an Apisto sees, it wants to control for safety, since it lives to produce young. They defend their potential nests, and are not being aggressive as we usually see it.
Rams are not nesters in caves like Apistos. That's a positive, as shared needs create conflict. Rams spawn in the open, but should be in small groups. Apistos should be in pairs., with 2 or 3 caves available per pair. The caves should always look out to an obstructed view.
thank you for your feedback, I am only looking to get 1 of each as I don want them to breed I have a lot of caves and flowers and logs, to break the line of sight i will also be putting other fish in their like gourami and Kribensis and some other school fish and a rainbow shark.

@Nemo91 I see disaster looming, I'm sorry to say.

A rainbow (or redtailed) shark is a solitary barb that harasses bottom dwelling tankmates at night. It will kill rams, Apistos and maybe kribensis. It wears them down slowly through the stress it creates.

Kribs have the same territorial needs as Apistos, but are bigger and stronger. That result becomes painfully obvious.

Rams are social beings and tend to live very poorly alone. The needs of the fish should over-rule the wants of the fishkeeper...

@Nemo91 I see disaster looming, I'm sorry to say.

A rainbow (or redtailed) shark is a solitary barb that harasses bottom dwelling tankmates at night. It will kill rams, Apistos and maybe kribensis. It wears them down slowly through the stress it creates.

Kribs have the same territorial needs as Apistos, but are bigger and stronger. That result becomes painfully obvious.

Rams are social beings and tend to live very poorly alone. The needs of the fish should over-rule the wants of the fishkeeper...
If the black knight ram and apistos along with the kirbensis had a lot of places to hide as well as lots of plants to help break the line of sight, would they be ok to be in a community tank? I will take out the raibow shark

My point of view is my own, and others may disagree. I will step aside and let them take over.

But I take the view no dwarf Cichlid should ever be alone without its own species. A group of rams, pairs of kribs or Apistos - there's no fun in watching social fish in solitude.

My point of view is my own, and others may disagree. I will step aside and let them take over.

But I take the view no dwarf Cichlid should ever be alone without its own species. A group of rams, pairs of kribs or Apistos - there's no fun in watching social fish in solitude.
ok thank you for your advice maybe i need to look at other options for my tank then, I want to have a colourful fish tank, if i got a pair of each would I still be able to have a community tank as well. or would i need to choose between the apistos or the ram?

I agree with @GaryE.
Rainbow sharks are highly aggressive and are known to kill other fish in the tank.
So that mixture would not play out well.

With that tank size though there are PLENTY of AMAZING options!

But what are your tap parameters?
Like GH and PH

This will help us help you pick out suitable fish.

I agree with @GaryE.
Rainbow sharks are highly aggressive and are known to kill other fish in the tank.
So that mixture would not play out well.

With that tank size though there are PLENTY of AMAZING options!

But what are your tap parameters?
Like GH and PH

This will help us help you pick out suitable fish.
I haven't got any fish yet I am waiting for the tank to be delivered, i do like gourami and killifish but i do love the Apestos, Black ram fish and kirbeneses

I haven't got any fish yet I am waiting for the tank to be delivered, i do like gourami and killifish but i do love the Apestos, Black ram fish and kirbeneses
Yes I know you don't have any fish yet.
I read through the posts.

Are planting the tank? Also, how do you plan on cycling it? With ammonia or by heavily planting it?

Gourami, killifish, Apistos, and rams are all SUPER colorful and beautiful fish but without knowing the GH and PH you may pick out a species not suitable and they'll die.
I'm sure live fish are more enjoyable 😉

Yes I know you don't have any fish yet.
I read through the posts.

Are planting the tank? Also, how do you plan on cycling it? With ammonia or by heavily planting it?

Gourami, killifish, Apistos, and rams are all SUPER colorful and beautiful fish but without knowing the GH and PH you may pick out a species not suitable and they'll die.
I'm sure live fish are more enjoyable 😉
I have never kept live plants before but looking to add some weeds to help with nitrate and looking to add 2 internal filters 1 will have standard with the tank and the 2nd will have carbax and amorax with a few sponge filters

I have never kept live plants before but looking to add some weeds to help with nitrate and looking to add 2 internal filters 1 will have standard with the tank and the 2nd will have carbax and amorax with a few sponge filters
Really nice filtration sounds like but I will say that active carbon isn't really needed unless you are removing discoloration or medications from the water column.
So it will wind up costing a bunch over time with replacing it.
But the sponges will work great! Then pair it with some ceramic bio-rings and it will really bump up biological filtration.

I suggest you read up on the nitrogen cycle and how to cycle a tank with these links:

Really nice filtration sounds like but I will say that active carbon isn't really needed unless you are removing discoloration or medications from the water column.
So it will wind up costing a bunch over time with replacing it.
But the sponges will work great! Then pair it with some ceramic bio-rings and it will really bump up biological filtration.

I suggest you read up on the nitrogen cycle and how to cycle a tank with these links:
ok thank you, I will read those articles

ok thank you, I will read those articles
No problem!
It'll seem complicated when your reading but it's actually very easy.
I had a few hiccups along the way cycling my first tank but they were easily corrected.

No problem!
It'll seem complicated when your reading but it's actually very easy.
I had a few hiccups along the way cycling my first tank but they were easily corrected.
ok thank you so i was planning on using the quick start and leaving the filter to run for a week before adding fish, then slowly adding fish to the tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back