Dwarf Cichlid Help please

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I think you are right and it is a Apistogramma cacatuoides cockatoo. She is certainly a lot larger than the new blue one. If the blue one turns out to be female, I will ask to exchange as I'd prefer a male 🐠.. My old pair were from the same tank and so I would guess they were both cockatoo. At the time of getting the new male, he was in with some cockatoo I believe.
the blue one is a male there is no doubt about that; the females are smaller and look a bit different than the males. Here is a picture of one of my female borelli:
fb.jpg

the blue one is a male there is no doubt about that; the females are smaller and look a bit different than the males. Here is a picture of one of my female borelli:
View attachment 160570
Really pretty, did you see my female fish? I assume she is female as she was very protective of her babies and would chase what i believed to be the male away from them. She has zero blue in her all yellow and black. I feel confused and now wondering if the one that died was maybe the female 🤦‍♀️

Attachments

• IMG_20220105_231055.jpg
    IMG_20220105_231055.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 26
Almost all female apistos are yellow regardless of the colour of the male of the same species. They are dullish yellow when not breeding but when they do breed they turn a really bright yellow with black markings. It's quite hard to tell the species of female apistos unless you are an expert in these fish.

Almost all female apistos are yellow regardless of the colour of the male of the same species. They are dullish yellow when not breeding but when they do breed they turn a really bright yellow with black markings. It's quite hard to tell the species of female apistos unless you are an expert in these fish.
Based on what you have just said this fish above had just had tiny fry and then she did go very pale yellow (I actually thought she was sick) but then she turned bright yellow again and had another round of fry so I am 99% certain she is the female now

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back