Dwarf Cichlid Help please

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
He is an A borellii.

I have come to believe females hold the power in this group of fish. If they are testing each other, there will be wrestling and chasing. If she hates him, there is no fighting. I have seen females barrel into the male's throat, between the gills. He's dead before he reaches the surface.

Some males have also killed females, though never with borellii. I've found them fairly relaxed. They are one of the few Apistos that can live in groups in an average tank.
It was always my female who chased my previous male to be fair. At present, there is a lot of chasing her vs him and him hiding or swimming away from her. How long do you think I should give them to see if they tolerate each other?

Really appreciate your help! Thank you

Yes. The pair select each other from a group, and sometimes you can see this. The males will be challenging one another, and the female a male allows to be near him without incident is likely going to be accepted.

If you put any male with any female, they may get along, they may skirmish to various degrees, or the male may kill the female. They may spawn once or more before the male has had enough (if they don't bond). I have seen females go after males too, so it works both ways. I've had this with Mikrogeophagus altispinosus, and with Apistogramma nijsseni. The problem is that in an aquarium there is no space for the weaker fish to find refuge. In the habitat, a weaker fish just swims away, and the males retain their territory. In even a large aquarium (my examples were in a 115g 5-foot and 70g 4-foot tank) the male knows the female is there, and wants her gone. But she has no escape. It is not only visual, but chemical signals, pheromones in the water, that fish use to communicate.
Thanks a lot for your help.

If they're both borellii, I would stay the course. The chances of murder aren't zero, but generally, they work it out. A fish in the top corner of the tank is a fish in distress. That's when I would act, fast.

If they're both borellii, I would stay the course. The chances of murder aren't zero, but generally, they work it out. A fish in the top corner of the tank is a fish in distress. That's when I would act, fast.
Great, thank you for the heads up. He's staying down low and I've seen him picking at bits on the floor which I've taken to be a good sign. I can't stop watching them, they are so fascinating. I've uploaded a photo to show how my male looked a few days before he passed. I think this shows what you are saying, he then developed a sunken tummy and was off food poor thing.

Attachments

• IMG_20220520_084620.jpg
    IMG_20220520_084620.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 26
Yellow with one black stripe is a female of almost any species. If you don't have the same species of male (there are dozens and dozens) he'll never be accepted.

She has her territory, and he has his. If she dislikes him, she will kill him. It's always a risk, especially if she was still in yellow breeding colours when you added him. She is wired to breed. He'd better be...
I lost my female Opal the other day. If I replace her with the standard Borellii for my male Opal what would the offspring be ?

The offspring would be... borellii. Opal isn't a major shift away from the natural fish - it isn't messed up like some. You'll just get nice fish.

He is an A borellii.

I have come to believe females hold the power in this group of fish. If they are testing each other, there will be wrestling and chasing. If she hates him, there is no fighting. I have seen females barrel into the male's throat, between the gills. He's dead before he reaches the surface.

Some males have also killed females, though never with borellii. I've found them fairly relaxed. They are one of the few Apistos that can live in groups in an average tank.
Borelli is one of the few passive species where you can build a colony with multiple males and females. They are also a white water fish and fairly adaptable as long as the water is not too hard. You didn't indicate your tank size but i presume it is at least a 10 gallons (which is small but suitable for 2 borelli). With most species you need a much larger tank if harem breeders and a slightly larger tank if pair oriented. Most species require acidic water to breed though there are a few white water fishes (including borelli and cockatoo). Btw blue-steel is an asian monstrosity presumed to be a hybrid and not a natural occurring species.

I lost my female Opal the other day. If I replace her with the standard Borellii for my male Opal what would the offspring be ?
I would first try to understand why you lost your female. They are fairly hearty fishes but this now makes two fishes you lost (going back to the male blue-steel); this suggest there might be an issue with the water quality or tank temp.

I would first try to understand why you lost your female. They are fairly hearty fishes but this now makes two fishes you lost (going back to the male blue-steel); this suggest there might be an issue with the water quality or tank temp.
Hi @anewbie I think someone else has commented on my thread about their Opal. Just to reassure, I only lost one male and I now know what my new blue fish is. Blue fish aka sparkly spike has settled in and he a lot more present in the tank now 😄

Hi @anewbie I think someone else has commented on my thread about their Opal. Just to reassure, I only lost one male and I now know what my new blue fish is. Blue fish aka sparkly spike has settled in and he a lot more present in the tank now 😄
Ok sorry lost track of the thread; btw was your original male a blue steel ? Blue steel are quite popular - the one negative to purist is they are believed to be a hybrid bred in asia.

Ok sorry lost track of the thread; btw was your original male a blue steel ? Blue steel are quite popular - the one negative to purist is they are believed to be a hybrid bred in asia.
That's ok :) it is easily done when a few people start commenting. I thought it was initially but it isn't. He is a borellii. Not sure if they have any other names but he is basically blue with yellow fins and shiny sparkly face. Really pretty looking.

The picture of your male (first one that died) is not borelli; if the female was purchased at the same time then there is a good chance she is not borelli (perhaps you got a new female). The female borelli is typically one 1/2 to 1/3 the size of the male with the male around 2ish inch depending on how you measure him. cockatoo females will be as large as a male borelli.

The picture of your male (first one that died) is not borelli; if the female was purchased at the same time then there is a good chance she is not borelli (perhaps you got a new female). The female borelli is typically one 1/2 to 1/3 the size of the male with the male around 2ish inch depending on how you measure him. cockatoo females will be as large as a male borelli.
These photos are not the best but he is a quick little thing.

Attachments

• IMG_20220528_165608_edit_533838510209166.jpg
    IMG_20220528_165608_edit_533838510209166.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20220528_170042_edit_533873336937286.jpg
    IMG_20220528_170042_edit_533873336937286.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20220528_170052_edit_533857652412288.jpg
    IMG_20220528_170052_edit_533857652412288.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 19
Yea - i was commenting on the male that died. That one is definitely a borelli as Garry/Byron identified. The question is what species is the original female.

Yea - i was commenting on the male that died. That one is definitely a borelli as Garry/Byron identified. The question is what species is the original female.
I think you are right and it is a Apistogramma cacatuoides cockatoo. She is certainly a lot larger than the new blue one. If the blue one turns out to be female, I will ask to exchange as I'd prefer a male 🐠.. My old pair were from the same tank and so I would guess they were both cockatoo. At the time of getting the new male, he was in with some cockatoo I believe.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back