Dumbest thing anyone’s said to you regarding fish…Go!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
So I was at Pets At Home and asked what their 'Fish Points' implied. The lass gave me a fair description of what it was about, although then spoiled it by saying that it was 'something imposed on them', to comply with animal welfare regulations. Seeing me gazing at the nerite snails, she added that whilst snails are excellent algae eaters and a must for almost any tank, they didn't get fish points because they didn't produce any waste to speak of and so you could have as many as you wanted in your tank!

Is it me?

Do they still refuse to sell anyone more than 6 fish? Last time I was buying fish stuff in there (not fish) they wouldn't sell more than 6 fish at once, regardless of the tank size or whether it was mature and not newly set up.

Do they still refuse to sell anyone more than 6 fish? Last time I was buying fish stuff in there (not fish) they wouldn't sell more than 6 fish at once, regardless of the tank size or whether it was mature and not newly set up.
They do in my area! They won't sell more than 6 fish at once but they'll be happy to give you a tank the size of a tupperware container and a few clown loaches to go with it.

Dunno...but while I was there, there was a toddler with an adult and the kid was pointing at that one and that one and that one and that one (from different tanks) and the staff member was bagging 'em all up.

That's the problem with P@H - they have to work from directions sent down from on high (points, no more than 6 fish) but they are not trained in anything else except those directions.

That's the problem with P@H - they have to work from directions sent down from on high (points, no more than 6 fish) but they are not trained in anything else except those directions.
i’ve never even heard of Pets at Home. is that like chain pet store like Petsmart and Petco?

It's a UK national chain store that sells things for all sorts of pets, including fish. It does not have a very good reputation.

- It takes two days for a new tank to cycle
- When you add new fish into your tank, add the water they came in

The worse thing is when the employees have no clue what they're talking about yet go on to give you advice anyway. This is particularly troublesome for beginners when they haven't done any research and solely rely on the advice of pet store workers.

the posts I see in craigslist all the time... Tank not leaking .. just add water and fish :)

Honestly, I have to confess a conversation that I had with my daughter a couple of weeks ago. She's 29 and just started keeping fish of her own about a year ago. She recently had an empty tank situation going with only a few chinese algae eaters before she restocked and mentioned to me that they were dying off no matter what she did, She also mentioned how spotless her tank was and I asked what was she feeding her algae eaters. I received a blank stare and it was an "OH Sh!t" moment for her when she realized they died from starvation. That'll never happen again, she gets it now...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back