Dumbest thing anyone’s said to you regarding fish…Go!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ThatFishGirl6231

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I’ll go first:

One time at school someone told me fish can’t be pets because pets are living breathing animals. He said fish don’t breathe so they aren’t animals. I gave him a whole biology lesson until he finally accepted that fish breathe and are animals. I’m pretty sure he hates me now though for making him look dumb in front of a lot of people.

I think its dumb and rude: When my favorite fish died years ago my boyfriend at the time ( now im married to a fellow animal lover) told me it was childish to be sad about a fish dying because I can just buy another one that looks like him. (his name was Driscoll- I buried him and planted a rosebush over him)

When I got my first fish, my friend told me that Fish are dumb. Ya know, that old "fish have a 5 second memory" myth. I actually believed it for awhile! 😂

I have another one. Someone like an hour ago told me they have a pet goldfish. I asked how big the tank was.
Them: “I don’t know it’s just a bowl.”
Me: “Minimum for most goldfish is like 40 gallons.”
Them: “It’s a fish it’ll probably die tomorrow anyway.”
Me: “Actually goldfish can live like 20 years.”
Them: “Bro are you dumb? They live like a week.”

As @redtailshark34 said above, I was once told that one of my tanks was too big for a Betta. The pet shop employee then went on to tell me that fish with a labyrinth organ needed to breathe at the surface and they would drown if the tank was too big.

Just today I bought a few nerites, the girl in the shop quizzed me about my tank and said that a new tank needed to be set up for 3 days before livestock were added.

After 25 years keeping fish I've heard plenty of stuff.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back