Dumb question 101, Endlers

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

momsspaghett

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just got two endlers and I'm kinda curious if one is a female. I'm positive they are both male but other perspectives would be appreciated. Also, the endlers rule. I don't want any females so is 1:2 male ok? Or do I need another?. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210304_170812.jpg
    IMG_20210304_170812.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20210304_170901.jpg
    IMG_20210304_170901.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 73
Yes, they look like males.
You can have more fish if you want as the Endlers are social fish and the bigger the group the better,

Yes, they look like males.
You can have more fish if you want as the Endlers are social fish and the bigger the group the better,
I know this a bit risky but I want to get a fry/juvenile (2 months or less) betta and have him go in that tank with those endlers, hopefully have him grow up with them so there aren't as much risk as i would hope they would get along in early stages verses me putting in an adult betta as is. I heard endlers are decent tank mates with bettas. any suggestions? I have quite a bit of hiding places as is in the tank along with it being heavily planted.

Endler's Livebearers can be sexed like other common livebearers. Look at the anal (bottom) fin. If it's long and straight, it's a male and the anal fin is called a gonopodium. If the anal fin is fan or triangular shaped, it is a female.

The 2 fish in the pictures both have a gonopodium. :)

---------------------
I have to admit, Endler's have much better body colour than guppies so why didn't people 50 years ago just breed Endler's instead of guppies?

I know this a bit risky but I want to get a fry/juvenile (2 months or less) betta and have him go in that tank with those endlers, hopefully have him grow up with them so there aren't as much risk as i would hope they would get along in early stages verses me putting in an adult betta as is. I heard endlers are decent tank mates with bettas. any suggestions? I have quite a bit of hiding places as is in the tank along with it being heavily planted.

It's better not to keep Betta with Endlers.
Endlers are similar to Betta(colourful body and tail) and the Betta may think that the Endlers are other male Bettas which mean that is the end of the Endlers.

Depending on the size of the tank, the combination betta and endlers is surely possible. A betta won't see them as being male bettas. I don't know where this comes from but it shouldn't be an issue. A betta will only be a bit more protective if another fish enters his territory in the tank. And endlers are faster swimmers than bettas (unless they're short finned) to get out of the way.
And yes, both are males in those pics.

I have to admit, Endler's have much better body colour than guppies so why didn't people 50 years ago just breed Endler's instead of guppies?
The Endler were originally discovered in the 1930s and probably unheard of 50 years ago or at least there was no one keeping them in captivity until they were rediscovered in 1975 by John endler back in the day they wasn't readily available and very little information about the species , it was very difficult to find a pure strain due to many fish keepers cross breeding them with Guppies,
there is very little difference between the two species both have good and bad points about them and as for color one is not better than the other

A lot of people claim that endlers have more intense and metallic colors in comparison to wild guppies. But that's incorrect. For there are also wild guppies that do have intense coloration and a metallic shine. It depends more on the habitat wether there are more, less or even no predators present. With a low predatory enviroment till even none, the colors of those guppies will be brighter and more metallic than in habitats with a higher predatory enviroment.
Overhere a male wild guppy Rio casanay from Venezuela:
QBRP4971.JPG

Its not advisable to keep bettas with any other fish. Theyre not community fish

It's up to you whether you try it out and see if it works, I'd just suggest that you only do it if you have back up plan for if it doesn't work, you know? That you're prepared to get another tank or set up an emergency tank and rehome one or the other if it doesn't work.

My mum's favourite phrase; "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!"

Its not advisable to keep bettas with any other fish. Theyre not community fish
I have to disagree (with all respect, btw :)). You shouldn't keep bettas with other fish that have large finnage or really elongated finrays. Short finned fish can be kept with bettas. Like so many other people, I've done this for years. A betta is looking for a spot in a tank to make it his territory. As long as the tank is wellsized (in comparison to the number of fish), it should be fine. And to be honest, looking back into time like the 1970's en 1980's, bettas were just kept like this. And things went just fine.
I've even bred bettas (splendens and others) for 15 years. But it's a time and space consuming hobby. About 10 years ago, I've sold them all.

Depending on the size of the tank, the combination betta and endlers is surely possible. A betta won't see them as being male bettas. I don't know where this comes from but it shouldn't be an issue. A betta will only be a bit more protective if another fish enters his territory in the tank. And endlers are faster swimmers than bettas (unless they're short finned) to get out of the way.
And yes, both are males in those pics.
That was what I was thinking and the tank is large enough to house the 3 and maybe a snail. Thanks for your input!

The Endler were originally discovered in the 1930s and probably unheard of 50 years ago or at least there was no one keeping them in captivity until they were rediscovered in 1975 by John endler back in the day they wasn't readily available and very little information about the species , it was very difficult to find a pure strain due to many fish keepers cross breeding them with Guppies,
there is very little difference between the two species both have good and bad points about them and as for color one is not better than the other

Interesting information, I appreciate it! Definitely prefer over the guppies so I had to get them when I saw them.

It's up to you whether you try it out and see if it works, I'd just suggest that you only do it if you have back up plan for if it doesn't work, you know? That you're prepared to get another tank or set up an emergency tank and rehome one or the other if it doesn't work.

My mum's favourite phrase; "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!"
Yeah. I just ordered the fry from ebay so he should be coming next week. Setting up a 8 gal tank ready incase. Was going to make it a shrimp tank or female betta tank. All tanks are heavily planted along with hiding places. I have plants growing out of my ears from various people around my area selling their plants they have grown from their aquariums.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back