Dulling Goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Moonweaver

Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I got 3 goldfish about a week ago, they were all a nice gold color when we got them and now the largest one is starting to dull. All three of them are in the same tank and get fed the same food and same amount. The other two are a healthy gold color.

What size is your tank and what type of goldfish? Did you cycle your tank first?

Three comets in a 5 gallon might be the problem. I think they get to be about a foot long. Is the pale one appearing normal otherwise (swimming, eating, active)?

Three comets in a 5 gallon might be the problem. I think they get to be about a foot long. Is the pale one appearing normal otherwise (swimming, eating, active)?

Yeah, she's swimming and eating normally. She plays with the others and is just as active as they are.

You need to find a pond for those babies. Single tailed goldfish are pond fish, not aquarium fish. Only fish that should be in a 5 gallon is one betta. My grandson got a comet goldfish about 2 years ago and it ended up in my tank. Now I am the proud owner of a garden pond because of that fish. I just measured him today and he is officially 13” long now.

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :hi:

Wow! 13”? That’s crazy!

I do concur, you need to get those comets outa’ there, and put them in a pond! (Or send them to me, lol!) :lol:

Any chance of a picture of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

Any chance of a picture of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

Good idea! I'll do that :)

(Also I realized an error, they are actually common goldfish and not comet xD)

This picture is the best I could get ^^"

Attachments

• 15645149266651319428604235108582.jpg
    15645149266651319428604235108582.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 164
The only difference between a comet and a common is that the comet has more of a”V” in the tail. They both grow equally as large and as fast. Please, find a home for your goldfish or build them a pond. I went through the same thing. I know what I’m talking about. Here are pics of mine. Again, the largest is 12” and the others are about 9”. Biggest one is 2 years old and smallest is about 17 months.
37CB2F29-8C90-4D5A-AB0C-4EB7F1D72BB8.jpeg
493CE9F0-13C4-4698-BD87-F1777602BAC4.jpeg

Attachments

• EAF3D37D-DDA6-465E-8A6C-B52C04A70ACB.jpeg
    EAF3D37D-DDA6-465E-8A6C-B52C04A70ACB.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 150
Good idea! I'll do that :)

(Also I realized an error, they are actually common goldfish and not comet xD)

This picture is the best I could get ^^"
The white one looks like he's had an injury to the top of his head? Maybe he was trapped on something?

The white one looks like he's had an injury to the top of his head? Maybe he was trapped on something?

White? I think you might be talking about the dull-ish one? If you are, she's not injured :) It's just a weird thing going on with my camera ^^

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back