duckweed

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

corylover5

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Today I got some duckweed at my LFS for free and I didn't know much about it until it was already in my tank and I decided to look it up. I have floating rings in my tank to prevent the duckweed from going near my filter intake and the area my fish eat in. I know it will spread very quickly but is it harmful to my tank in any way? I know it has a pretty bad reputation so I wanted to make sure it won't harm anything in my tank. I have one other question about the duckweed. I know many animals including rabbits can eat it but would it be safe to dry duckweed from a fish tank and feed it to my rabbit? Thanks in advance

Today I got some duckweed at my LFS for free and I didn't know much about it until it was already in my tank and I decided to look it up. I have floating rings in my tank to prevent the duckweed from going near my filter intake and the area my fish eat in. I know it will spread very quickly but is it harmful to my tank in any way? I know it has a pretty bad reputation so I wanted to make sure it won't harm anything in my tank. I have one other question about the duckweed. I know many animals including rabbits can eat it but would it be safe to dry duckweed from a fish tank and feed it to my rabbit? Thanks in advance
Not harmful. So long as you dont mind removing the excess its fine

One more thing with the duck weed I just read online that duckweed will starve my other plants of lighting. Is that true? Can I prevent this by netting out excess duckweed weekly?

If you have low light plants like Java Ferns they wil be fine, yes if you leave opening for light to get through to the other plants they should also be fine

Any Floating Plant will Block Light from the surface and if you have High Light Plant you might Need to separate the surface Area for your Duckweed, about feeding Duckweed i know some sushi using Duckweed since they have protein in it. But never tried it myself. :rofl:

The dikes around my house are covered in duckweed so I have to laugh when I see it for sale on eBay !! It's harmless n iv never had it but I do pick bits out when doing water changes so don't no how it got in ?. Water lettuce does well and is controllable but if it didn't I would take duckweed as an option. Not for me at the moment.

I think it can clog filters which could be a problem but your floating barriers will prevent that.

I don't think it will clog filters as it floats ! If it sinks , it is dead matter the same as any plant so don't worry about it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back