Duckweed

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Bhuggins

Reaction score
I got a bit of duckweed in my tank today and Iā€™m aware of its reputation so I was wondering if I could get some thoughts on it. Is this something that Iā€™m gonna hate or just going to require a bit of clearing occasionally? I donā€™t mind have a bit of top cover as my current plants are low light so if it means scooping the top a couple of times a week I donā€™t mind.

10 gallon
Gravel
Plants I have are anubias, java fern, java moss, Christmas moss
7 ember tetras
Cherry shrimp

Floating plants are always advisable with forest fish (like tetras) as they prefer dim to bright overhead light. I prefer more substantial floating plants, like Water Sprite, Frogbit, Water Lettuce because these are larger and have more depth to them, and nice root masses that small fish especially love to browse for microscopic food. But I also recognize the value of duckweed is certain circumstances. I keep it around in my 10g tank, easily controlling it by scooping out any I want to remove during the water change. It ends up in most of the other tank via the water changer, but it is easy with a small net to pick out the dozen or so pieces if I want to. I like to keep this in my 10g bcause it was the spawning tank for pygmy cories, and my Twig Catfish fry grow-out, and now it is to quarantine new fish so this fast-growing plant is beneficial.

Either way honestly. It's a good plant if you dont mind removing it

I've always liked Duckweed. Just don't let it get to the point of covering the entire water surface. I think it is pretty easy to control, also some fish snack on it.

Just use a fish net and scoop some out when it gets too bad. Chuck the excess plants in another tank or on the garden, it makes a great mulch. It's also great food for goldfish and rainbowfish.

I'm about to order some. Need floating plants and cant afford others right now. Duckweed is less than $2

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back