Ducklings!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I know exactly how you both feel I bred lovebird species in my bedroom for a year or 2 after you get used to chicks begging for food 24/7 you kinda feel lost when it goes silent again :(

My first ducks where muscovys even when grown up the drakes hiss at me as they used to come in and out the house :lol:

regards
I wish I can one of my ducklings or two to hand raise... But the mother is soooo aggressive and protective!! And her bite hurts a LOT and especially the wing slaps!

Take the eggs when she lays them and put them in an incubator. She would be protective of her babies, but she can't be if she didn't hatch them herself! :lol:

I know exactly how you both feel I bred lovebird species in my bedroom for a year or 2 after you get used to chicks begging for food 24/7 you kinda feel lost when it goes silent again :(

My first ducks where muscovys even when grown up the drakes hiss at me as they used to come in and out the house :lol:

regards
I wish I can one of my ducklings or two to hand raise... But the mother is soooo aggressive and protective!! And her bite hurts a LOT and especially the wing slaps!

Take the eggs when she lays them and put them in an incubator. She would be protective of her babies, but she can't be if she didn't hatch them herself! :lol:
Great idea!!I'll have to wait for her next clutch :shifty:

regards

:lol:
They're hard word but they're well worth it.
I was changing their bedding, food and water everyday, and waking up at 5am to stop them from whining! :lol:
I put them in one of those near-translucent storage boxes (quite a big one) with wheels, filled it with bedding, and put the water and food on a raised up bit made from the cardbox lid of some other box, which was filled with bedding. That just made it easier to change, since they were so mucky! :lol:
Don't forget to put marbles in the water so they don't drown! Good luck with the eggs and babies! :good:

regards

:lol:
They're hard word but they're well worth it.
I was changing their bedding, food and water everyday, and waking up at 5am to stop them from whining! :lol:
I put them in one of those near-translucent storage boxes (quite a big one) with wheels, filled it with bedding, and put the water and food on a raised up bit made from the cardbox lid of some other box, which was filled with bedding. That just made it easier to change, since they were so mucky! :lol:
Don't forget to put marbles in the water so they don't drown! Good luck with the eggs and babies! :good:
Sounds like a lot of work :crazy: I'd prefer having their mom to take care of them!! Especially that my sister has a cat in the house that won't get out ( it had been pounded by a very protective and aggressive rooster)... If the mom will protect them, love them and care for them then I won't mind how vicious she'l get!! I remember the time when I brought her home from the pet store she was cute.. And only one of the ducklings looks like how she was, since the dad was a yellow duckling.
She Also killed a finch that was feeding on the ground close to her and her young. I weren't happy for what happened at all.. :sad:

What cute ducklings! Growing up, I always hounded my mom about letting me raise some ducks or chicks or goats or... (the list never ends!). We lived in the country, but she still said no ;) It's still a dream of mine to have some sort of hobby farm, but now I'm really interested in quails and guinea fowl :p

Thanks for sharing!

Quails are cute and interesting creatures but guinea fowl are well...ummm let's say nervous!! Ones there is something happens and scare them you won't be able to control them easily or calm them down.. If it's not impossible.
They also are loud and aggressive.. So i don't think your mom will be please by having them!!
Trust me I have giunea fowls!

Quails are cute and interesting creatures but guinea fowl are well...ummm let's say nervous!! Ones there is something happens and scare them you won't be able to control them easily or calm them down.. If it's not impossible.
They also are loud and aggressive.. So i don't think your mom will be please by having them!!
Trust me I have giunea fowls!

Well I've been out of the house and on my own for a few years now - but in the big city getting my university degree - so I've missed my chance to get my mom to buy any of them :p I never really researched guinea fowl, just quails, so it's good to know what sort of personalities they have. Obviously I'd have to actually invest more time into seeing what would actually be good on a hobby farm... but that's way into the future, if it will ever happen at all! I'm assuming that ducks are much nicer?

Our quail were completely mental.
We hatched some, and then we separated the males and the females. One day, the males snapped and turned on one boy, pecking him so much that they ripped the skin off at the base of his neck, revealing his muscle, while he was still alive. Evil little things.
The females then went slightly crazy, and now we only have one left on her own. We did try to put her in with someone else but they kept fighting. :(

Ducks are usually peaceful.. But not always.
Quails are nice... But they are not suitable for beginners, and their actions are not always predictable, you can't know exactly what their reactions will be unlike fishes, you always know what they are thinking!

I srtongle dissagree quail are not for begginers to star with there are hundred of species ie bobwhite, japenese etc

A good starter quail is the chinese painted, nice and small and if kept in a trio undemanding )
Lots of mutations available as well my faves that I kept where blue and silvers

regards

Ducks are usually peaceful.. But not always.
Quails are nice... But they are not suitable for beginners, and their actions are not always predictable, you can't know exactly what their reactions will be unlike fishes, you always know what they are thinking!

I srtongle dissagree quail are not for begginers to star with there are hundred of species ie bobwhite, japenese etc

A good starter quail is the chinese painted, nice and small and if kept in a trio undemanding )

regards

I think we had chinese painted. The first load of around 9 we had were brilliant (they were a mixed lot) then when we hatched them ourselves they were evil! Don't know what was wrong!

regards
When I said not for beginners... I meant their behavior and some particular species of quails are hard to keep but in general guinea fowls are easier to keep. I kept Japanese quails.. But they ended up eaten by street cats which I won't be seeing any more of them soon.

...wow, you know.. maybe I'll need to think long and hard about any birds :huh: May never have a hobby farm, and if I do it won't be for years and years, but I honestly didn't know that so many birds were little jerks :crazy:

I mean, I probably should have since I've never gotten along well with any indoor pet birds, but I didn't really apply that to "farm" birds (or "game birds" but I'd hate to call them that since I don't plan on hunting them!). I'll stick to dogs and fish for awhile.

ETA: The ducks are still cute though! lol

...wow, you know.. maybe I'll need to think long and hard about any birds :huh: May never have a hobby farm, and if I do it won't be for years and years, but I honestly didn't know that so many birds were little jerks :crazy:

I mean, I probably should have since I've never gotten along well with any indoor pet birds, but I didn't really apply that to "farm" birds (or "game birds" but I'd hate to call them that since I don't plan on hunting them!). I'll stick to dogs and fish for awhile.

ETA: The ducks are still cute though! lol

Wouldn't want to put you off! The ducks are wonderful, and so affectionate when hatched and raised by a person, too. The quail are okay, but they aren't my favourite pet. :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back