Dry Start Issues

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Wells

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Attempted a dry start with some monte carlo and a week later a lot of it has died, I'm unsure what I done wrong.

It is covered with clingfilm and kept in an airing cupboard for humidity. Every morning I give it a spray with water, then rd cover it and turn the light on for 14ish hours.

From the photos you can see a couple have survived, they are tropica 1-2 grow pots.

20200927_154357.jpg

I think there's too much water, can see it pooling slightly against the glass. Substrate just needs to stay moist, maybe spray every other day or even 3 days.

I think there's too much water, can see it pooling slightly against the glass. Substrate just needs to stay moist, maybe spray every other day or even 3 days.

At this point, is it unsaveable then? Do I need to start again from scratch?

At this point, is it unsaveable then? Do I need to start again from scratch?
Nah, as my gran would say 'its still green' ;)
It can take a bit to get itself acclimatised. I'd just let it air a little and dry up slightly then go back to what you were doing but spray less, either every other day or just spray less. If any water pools on the substrate try and suck it out with a syringe or keep the film off a bit for it to dry

Dry start ?

What is this set up then?

It’s all new to me and I’d love to know what this is for, what’s the aim and why:book: :teacher:

Dry start ?

What is this set up then?

It’s all new to me and I’d love to know what this is for, what’s the aim and why:book: :teacher:

So the idea is you plant into a tank then not add the water.
With the carpet plant it has unlimited co2 from the atmosphere and gives it a kick start to carpet out, the idea being that it accelerates growth and within a few weeks you can have a full lush carpet, then you flood the tank and start your normal cycle.

Hmm, interesting, like the theory.

Has it been proven to work?

Is the substrate immersed in water?

Therefore are the roots are in water or in dry substrate, and presumably root tabs are inside the substrate too?

Does plants being out of water and being in a moist environment to suddenly being totally immersed not make the plants melt or anything like that?

Yeh its mainly due to the fact that it has unlimited co2 from the atmosphere. Technically by making sure the humidity is high, by spraying and covering with cling film, they can adapt to being completely submerged. Ive only heard of it working with a nutrient rich substrate. The substrate should only be moist rather than submerged. As for adapting after being flooded, it can struggle if enough co2 isnt supplied afterwards.

Yeh its mainly due to the fact that it has unlimited co2 from the atmosphere. Technically by making sure the humidity is high, by spraying and covering with cling film, they can adapt to being completely submerged. Ive only heard of it working with a nutrient rich substrate. The substrate should only be moist rather than submerged. As for adapting after being flooded, it can struggle if enough co2 isnt supplied afterwards.
Wow interesting

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back