Dropsy?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kaijuaquatics

Reaction score
Genuinely heartbroken right now and panicking.

This is Rose, I've had her a while and she's been doing really well. Recently she's been looking a little fatter which I assumed was just her being a glutton but today I looked and her stomach is oddly reminiscent of a fish with dropsy.

This is the second betta which has contracted dropsy. It broke my heart having to euthanise my male a while back and I really don't know if I can go through that again.

Water parameters are fine, the tank is clean and she has plenty to do/places to hide. My rasboras are well and not showing any signs of sickness. Can anyone tell me if this is indeed dropsy or just bloating?

20220324_123617.jpg
20220324_123624.jpg

20220324_123636.jpg

Can you take a photo of of the fish from above while she is in the water please? It's hard to see the scales properly out of the water.

Is the fish still eating?
What does the fish's poop look like?

Fish with dropsey normally stop eating and do a stringy white poop. If the fish is eating well and doing normal coloured poop, then she is just gaining weight, possibly from eggs.

If a fish stops eating, gets fat overnight or within a couple of days, and does a stringy white poop, it has a major internal problem and will probably die.

Is the fish still eating?
What does the fish's poop look like?

Fish with dropsey normally stop eating and do a stringy white poop. If the fish is eating well and doing normal coloured poop, then she is just gaining weight, possibly from eggs.

If a fish stops eating, gets fat overnight or within a couple of days, and does a stringy white poop, it has a major internal problem and will probably die.
Dropped in some food to see and she's just not eating. Rasboras are but she's not interested. Haven't seen her poop yet either

Can you take a photo of of the fish from above while she is in the water please? It's hard to see the scales properly out of the water.
Not sure if this is clear enough but here she is
20220325_155805.jpg

It definitely looks like she's pineconing to me and she seems to have gotten worse but I'm not an expert on this.

Heavy salt bath for her. I know it won't help but I hope it at least makes her feel better. Put some decor in there so she isn't stressed.
20220325_164701.jpg

Sodium chloride isn't the best for dropsey. It causes fish to take in salt and water. You are better off using epsum salts (magnesium sulphate) to help draw fluid out of the body.

Sodium chloride isn't the best for dropsey. It causes fish to take in salt and water. You are better off using epsum salts (magnesium sulphate) to help draw fluid out of the body.
If she's pineconing is there any chance of saving her? I know the answer is probably not since its internal damage. I'm just trying to exhaust every option I have before euthanasia

If you lived in the US you could probably get anti-biotics to treat her with, but in the UK where anti-biotics are controlled, you are probably on the losing side.

See how she goes over the next day or two, if she gets fatter, or the scales stick out more, or she does a stringy white poop, and she hasn't started eating, then euthanise her.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back