Dropsy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Emilyyy

Reaction score
Hi!
My female betta, Akila, got really bloated yesterday and is pineconing a bit. I confirmed with some people on a discord server that it is dropsy.
I did a Sea Salt bath yesterday and she's still bloated a lot. The pineconing isn't too bad now, but she still is pineconing. How else should I help her? She's in her regular tank right now.
Her popeye got a bit better and then she got dropsy and I think the popeye led to the dropsy.

Water changes once a week, 40-50% in her 5 gallon cycled, heated tank. Fed twice a day with a pinch of Fluval Bug Bites.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15
pH: 8+ (I'm working on lowering it. My water source's pH is really high)

I'm aging the water for 12+ hours to help lower the pH.
What else can I do to help her?

Sorry forgot to add pictures. This was yesterday and it got a bit worse and then got a tiny bit better so she's still pineconing.

2021-03-09 (2).jpg
2021-03-09 (1).jpg
2021-03-09.jpg

Because popeye proceeded the dropsy it is likely that it is a bacterial infection. I would recommend treating with an antibiotic. However, keep in mind that 1. you want to avoid antibiotics that are likely to cause kidney damage since the kidneys are already compromised in dropsy and 2. make sure that the antibiotic you choose is still effective at the high ph of your tank.

Check out the following link for recommendations:

https://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2006/11/betta-with-dropsy.html

You could always treat the betta in a hospital tank if you don't want to risk killing off your biological filter with the antibiotic. (But there's the possibility that your fish may become reinfected when you introduce it back into the tank if you go that route.)

Because popeye proceeded the dropsy it is likely that it is a bacterial infection. I would recommend treating with an antibiotic. However, keep in mind that 1. you want to avoid antibiotics that are likely to cause kidney damage since the kidneys are already compromised in dropsy and 2. make sure that the antibiotic you choose is still effective at the high ph of your tank.

Check out the following link for recommendations:

https://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2006/11/betta-with-dropsy.html
Thank you! I will check it out.
You could always treat the betta in a hospital tank if you don't want to risk killing off your biological filter with the antibiotic. (But there's the possibility that your fish may become reinfected when you introduce it back into the tank if you go that route.)
I don't have a hospital tank ready for her. Even if I set one up, there wouldn't be a heater as it is in a different tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back