Dropsy?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

V10l3t

Reaction score
Hello again, i really need your help as never before
Today i noticed my oranda lionhead with scales lightly up around his belly.
To be honest, i always look at him and i barely see scales up. I hope i can help him in time with your help.
I don't know how to treat it exactly, the fish still eat and the only other visible sign is he is a bit letargic. He still swims.
As first step i put him in a quarantine tank with 15 litres of tank water and added 3 grams of non ionized salt per liter. Now what?
I know he needs antibiotc, claritomicin, am i right? Should i feed him with medicated food? Please help

If the fish is eating then medicated food is the best option for internal bacterial infection. The medicated food is less likely to wipe out the filter bacteria and will treat the fish quicker than anti-biotics that are added to the water.

Medicated food should be fed 3-4 times per day at equal intervals (6 hours apart or whatever fits your schedule).

When treating fish with anti-biotics, do it in a bare glass tank with no substrate. Before you treat the tank or retreat the tank, you should wipe the inside of the glass down and change all the water every day. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Do not catch fish and lift them out of water if they have dropsy because it puts a lot of pressure on their internal organs and can kill them. Catch the fish in a net and put a small plastic container in the tank under the net. Lift the fish out in the container of water. The fish can sit in this for a few minutes while you drain and refill the tank with clean water. Then carefully drain most of the water out of the container and leave only enough for the fish. Then put it back in the tank. The small amount of water in the container will be fine going into the quarantine tank.

If you are just using medicated food, then wipe the inside of the glass down and change most of the water. Leave only enough for the fish at the bottom and then fill it back up with water that is free of chlorine/ chloramine. Do this once a day until the fish is better.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence but don't have too much so the fish gets blown around the tank.

Make sure any goldfish get lots of plant matter in their diet.

Thanks a lot for your reply, Colin
I'll take care of him as you suggest
So i assume salt is useless in this case, and i have to make water change with water that is bio-conditioned only, am i right?
Actually i put airstone a heater ( at 25 celsius ) in his hospital tank, is it ok?

Salt (sodium chloride) won't make much difference here.

No idea what bio-conditioned is. But you want to use water that is free of chlorine/ chloramine. So use a dechlorinator to neutralise any chlorine/ chloramine in the tap water before you add the water to the tank.

25C is fine for fancy goldfish and they usually do better at 18-26C than in cooler water (say 10-15C).

No idea what bio-conditioned is
Sorry, my english is terrible, i mean water free of chloramine.
Just an update: a moment ago he eat 2 little ball of food ( gel ) with antibiotic. Size of his normal pellets. Hope it works. I'll feed him next 12 hours. His poo is normal as usual. I'll clean the whole hospital tank tonight

Just an update
He still eats, his scales are less lifted up than the first day and untill yesterday he did a good poo.
Today things are a bit different, he stops to swim, i mean he moves only to get food, no poo today, but i wonder if it may be related on the type of food i provide to him (normally his diet is plenty of vegetables )
I nee you help, i can't understand if those are good or bad news, please help me to understand what is going on.
Today is the third day of antibiotic

You should only feed the fish medicated food for however long it says on the packaging, (normally 1 week). You don't feed other foods during this time.

Depending on what is causing the problem, will determine if the medication works. If the fish's digestive tract is still in good shape then medicated food should help. If other organs have been badly damaged, the fish might be too far gone.

If the fish is still eating, then keep trying. When fish stop eating, then euthanise them.

Make sure the tank and water is clean.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back