Dropsy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

benthyer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So last night me a few guys on in the Chat diagnosed my female Guppy with Dropsy.

It seems it is now beyong the point of return and I believe that the right thing to do now is to end her suffering. Unfortunately I didn't catch it sooner as she was pregnant and never noticed any bloating as I believe it was just the pregnancy. But I discovered yesterday that she had the pine cone look.

I believe that it has been caused by stressed as I have just moved the fish tank to my new house about 2 weeks ago so it effectively had a 100% water change and the gravel had even had a quick rinse. The wate is also exactly the same as the new house is only a stones throw away from the old one. I also have a young male guppy who has been harrassing the other guppies and think he has just added to her stress.

It was suggested last night that clove oil is the best option. However we were unsure of dosages if anyone can help with that?

Also if I am unable to find any clove oil are there any other methods that are quick and painless?

Sorry for your loss,
rip.gif

This thread might answer some of your questions.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/8031-euthanasia-of-fish/

Thanks for the link WILDER.

I completely with the quick and painless options provided there. I also read about someone using a hammer to provide a direct blow to the head. It doesn't sound pleasant but certainly seems like the easiest way to do it or would you say otherwise?

I'm a coward so couldn't fetch myself to do the hammer job.
I used the ice method and it was pretty quick but not nice.

Yeah I think I would struggle but would find it easier than cutting of the head and then stabbing the brain to make sure it is dead.

They suggested that the freezer method was no good, but then I suppose it all comes down to personal experience and opinions at the end of the day. It is such a sensitive subject and I don't want to upset anyone but ultimately you are always going to regardless of what you do.

I agree. It is a touchy subject. Go with what you want to do. I don't think any of them are nice.
It's better than watching the fish suffer for days.
He was a surgeon who wrote this so trusted him more.
Writer steelhealr.

This is what I choose to do with my fish and my comments are only placed here as opinion. This is a heated topic. I choose based on my knowledge from my training:

Oil of cloves is a topical anethestic and was used in the past to treat toothaches. Lidocaine (like at the dentist's office is a topical anesthetic as well). When we operate on people we really want to achieve 2 things, analgesia and anesthesia, that is, relief of pain and unconsciousness. IMO, when a fish is immersed in oil of cloves, it is essentially 'topically anesthetized', paralyzed, but, I am NOT convinced that the fish is unconscious.....none of us will really know for sure. We don't know if the oil of cloves causes stinging to the mucus membranes, eyes, etc on initial contact nor if the fish is motionless, painless but aware. 

Extreme cold is an anesthetic. When applied to skin, you can actually cut the skin and feel no pain. Cold also can cause rapid unconsciousness. In fact, hypothermia is reported to cause a state of euphoria and clouding of consciousness. Fish, at least most of the types that we keep (tropical), are extremely small and rapid immersion in extreme cold water, in my opinion, causes rapid pain relief and rapid unconsciousness. I have never seen any of my fish shows signs of what I consider suffering. They stop moving immediately and appear lifeless. Some have stated that since fish are ectothermic, this doesn't apply....perhaps in cold water fish I would agree.

I choose to euthanize my fish this way, rather than oil of cloves. One must either make an educated decision for themselves, or, choose what is currently accepted by the masses as what is humane. 

Added: although I would never use blunt force to euthanize my fish, nor advocate it, one fact is for sure: death is instantaneous

That is actually very helpful.

I think the mistake made with this method is that people add fish to water and then freeze it whereas what you should actually do is freeze the water first (making sure it is still a liquid) and then add the fish. Providing an instanteous effect rather than slowly freezing to death. Almost like when you jump into icy water and it takes your breath away.

I agree.
You freeze the water first. Still not nice but I used this method.

Just to let you know, clove oil is available at pharmacies. I got some at the pharmacy in my local Sainsburys, so it appears to me that it is readily available.

It is the method that I use, thankfully not that often. Whatever method you choose, is down to you, and you alone, and I don't feel that anyone should say "Oh, no, you mustn't do it like that".

You've read the topics that the forum provides, and hopefully you can make your decision based upon that.

I think I would prefer it to being hit with a blunt object which potentially may not carry out what is intended.

Guess i better put some water in the freezer when I get home. Poor girl :(

Yeah there is a boots across the road from me which I was going to go to after work to find some.

I think I would be happier with either the Freeze or Clove Oil method compared to the other methods I have seen

So I had to take action yesterday with my guppy to prevent any further suffering.

I attempted to find Clove Oil but had no luck so had to use the frozen water method. I can honestly say that she did not struggle at all and peacefully slipped away.
rip.gif

Thanks for all you help guys and hopefully I won't have to go through this again any time soon!

Glad to hear the fish passed away peacefully.
rip.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back