Dropsy or Something Else

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It probably had an internal bacterial infection. there's no cure for this.

------------------
Wipe the inside of the glass with a clean fish sponge.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use them.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Don't get any more fish for a month.

This will reduce the risk of more fish getting sick

It probably had an internal bacterial infection. there's no cure for this.

------------------
Wipe the inside of the glass with a clean fish sponge.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use them.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Don't get any more fish for a month.

This will reduce the risk of more fish getting sick

Can you walk me through the water change?

1-I should have a bucket of clean room temperature, treated water right? This water will be poured back into the tank.

2-Clean the water filter and media with the water that I remove from the tank? Or just rinse with tape water?

3-should I rinse the ornaments? Or are the ornaments called media?

just making sure that get this right

Turn the filter and heater off before you start.

Use an aquarium siphon to suck water out of the tank. At the same time, clean the gravel (if that's what you have on the bottom of the tank) by pushing the siphon tube into the gravel. When no more debris comes up, move to the next bit of gravel. if you have sand, hover the tube just above the sand and make little swirling movements to lift the debris off the sand where the tube can suck it up.
Once you've removed 75% of the water, use some of the old water to clean the filter media - that's everything inside the filter. Squeeze sponges, swoosh ceramic noodles etc to get the brown goo off them. You can wash filter casing under the tap. Swoosh decor in the old tank water as well.
For new water, put dechlorinator in the bucket - at the dose rate for the volume of the bucket - then run hot and cold water in. Get the water to the same temperature as the tank water. Checking by feeling the temperature with your hand is close enough. Pour the bucket of water into the tank carefully - you don't want substrate, decor or fish going flying round the tank. I use a jug to ladle the water from the bucket to the tank.
Make sure the bucket (and jug if you use one) are specifically for aquarium use; make sure they have never been used for cleaning the car etc and make sure no-one borrows the bucket to do that.
Once the tank is refilled, remember to turn the filter and heater back on.

Most reactions

trending

Back