Dropped my betta fish on floor!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

merrall412

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a new betta fish and while i was getting ready to put him into his new aquarium he jumped out of the cup he came in and fell about 4.5 feet onto hardwood. I immediately picked him up and put him into his new aquarium. I am concerned that the impact of the fall may have caused him some internal injuries. The fall happened last night and he is swimming and eating fine however he sometimes appears to be swimming slightly lopesided or may be having buoyancy issues. It appears his body wants to float but he is struggling to swim downward. Iā€™m wondering if his swim bladder is damaged? What is the likeliness that he will be okay after a fall like this? and is there anything I can do for him?

Iā€™ve had a discus jump fall 5ft hitting a metal small step ladder. I feared the worst but it was unscathed. Iā€™ve got a top on the aquarium but have to lift to feed. Very cautious when feeding now.

Great fish escapes could be its own thread. I had 3 small loaches jump out and hit my hardwood floor, similarly a 4-5 foot fall. It'd be like me jumping out of a 10 story building. Fish are pretty tough.

I once had a pleco in a glass bowl to drip acclimate him. I dropped the bowl 4 feet onto a hard floor. The glass bowl shattered but the pleco survived and is now 8 yrs old. I named him ā€œLucky.ā€

Last edited:
I had a goldfish that we called " Suicide Fish " he kept jumping out of the tank so he ended up in a pond. One day we found he almost completely dried out, we put him back in the tank and he survived all the dried-out pieces ended up white, so he was then a white and gold fish.

I had a goldfish that we called " Suicide Fish " he kept jumping out of the tank so he ended up in a pond. One day we found he almost completely dried out, we put him back in the tank and he survived all the dried-out pieces ended up white, so he was then a white and gold fish.
Miracle fish... Zombie fish... Idk... Thats insane

Iā€™ve heard stories of cats getting fish and the fish still pulling through. Obviously caught in the nick of time. But could you image !! Iā€™d be šŸ˜”
We had a cat growing up who hooked a 14" koi out of the kiddie pool while we were doing pond maintenance. She tossed him across the deck, my brother and I had a heck of a time catching him before he fell off the deck edge. The koi was fine but for some scuffs, he is 21 years old now.

I had an arowana jump out of the tank through a small hole I had put on the cover for a heater, good thing I was there to pick up the beast! These guys are notorious jumpers since in the wild this is how they catch their prey.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back