Drop Checkers - How They Work

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hey thanks for the post this should be pinned! I am tempted to make my own 4dkh but couple of questions... Where do I get DeIonised water from (ironing / car battery water?) and I assume the stuff doesn't deteriorate over time?

Hey thanks for the post this should be pinned! I am tempted to make my own 4dkh but couple of questions... Where do I get DeIonised water from (ironing / car battery water?) and I assume the stuff doesn't deteriorate over time?

halfords, you normally use it for car batteries

halfords, you normally use it for car batteries

ok thanks I thought as much but thought I would check. So the mixture should last then?

As long as the bottle is closed then it will only deteriorate minimally so not enough to worry about.

DI water is readily available at Halfords, Wilko, Boyes etc

AC

And I take it u can use regular bicarbonate of soda for the other part of the mixture, as in the stuff used in the kitchen?

:good:

Bicarbinate of Soda - yes. Baking powder - No.

6g Bicarb + 5litres DI = 40dKH
10ml 40dKH + 90ml DI = 4dKH

AC

As long as the bottle is closed then it will only deteriorate minimally so not enough to worry about.

AC

Ta mate got some from Halfords today. Also got a drop checker on the way so I will be able to mess around in my small tank for now :)
What accuracy do my measurements have to be? I have some digi scales accurate to 1/10 gram (10 x 2p coins measure 71.2g so seem pretty accurate!) but also should I remeasure the Halfords 5ltr tub or shoulds that be accurate enough?

Olly.

AC

Ta mate got some from Halfords today. Also got a drop checker on the way so I will be able to mess around in my small tank for now :)
What accuracy do my measurements have to be? I have some digi scales accurate to 1/10 gram (10 x 2p coins measure 71.2g so seem pretty accurate!) but also should I remeasure the Halfords 5ltr tub or shoulds that be accurate enough?

Olly.

scales should be accurate to 0.1g

plenty ae available on ebay for around £6 if anybody needs one.

Hey can I use the low ph test liguid from my API kit as bromothymol blue or is it the same thing?

The drop checker I bought says to use 7 drops of there liguid and 5 ml of 4 dkh but is yours way better? And not to be complaining but why hasn't this guide been pinned??

4dKH with 2 Ph drops will give an easier colour to read try both if you have both and see which suits you if there reagent is bromo blue based;)

Its not pinned at the mo because there would end up being 2 pages of pinned thread. lol There are a lot of good threads on here that are very pinworthy but unfortunately space is limited :(

AC

Well I don't even know what solution it came with, I'm gonna try the api low ph and I'll see what happens, thanks guys!

The drop checker I bought says to use 7 drops of there liguid and 5 ml of 4 dkh but is yours way better? And not to be complaining but why hasn't this guide been pinned??

More bromothymol you add, the darker the colour.

Personall y i tink htere should be a new section where all pinned threads (or extras) are moved too.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back