Drop Again?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nikkifro8994

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello. My mickey mouse platy dropped on January 3rd. Now her gravid spot is dark and she has the white dot by her anal fin again. Can she drop again after 3 days? I thought she couldn't drop for 2 weeks.
This is her 2 hours before she dropped
6628732555_34f00eb06a_m.jpg

This is 2 hours after
6638577933_e581798dfa_m.jpg

This is now
6646957381_89d87f6620_m.jpg

Congrats on the fry, and beautiful platy! Platies can hold sperm for 6 monthes! She probobly just refertilized herself, expect more fry to drop in four weeks. The gravid spot be much larger then.
Hope this helped,
Mollie

Thanks. When can I put the fry in with adults without the risk of then being eaten?

I have platy fry in my tank that are 3 weeks old
& the adults ignore them.
I also have some older fry, so maybe the adults just got used to them being there.
If you've separated them, I'd wait til they were about 4 weeks old to put them back in

They are going into my livebearer tank which only has male guppies and platys. So after about 2 months they can be with the adults? I want to put the males in my tank and sell the females.

Platy fry grow big quickly and are roundish, so they can't really fit into adults mounth a lot younger than that. 2 months is more than enough I think.

Ok. When do they start to get their colors? Most of the fry have black on their tails already. 2 look like they have black on their dorsal fin.

Well, they are not as bright coloured when small, but you would have the idea when they are 1 week old. Those that don't have black on the tails and fins will not develop black. If it's orange for example, it would be orange when super young.

They are almost 2 weeks old but still look the same whitish clear that they were when they were born. Am I doing something wrong?

Can you post a picture? Maybe they will be whitish clear like on the picture below:

67241673.jpg

Are you sure you don't have guppy babies or some other type of fry instead ? :lol:

But the mom is a sunset mickey. Shouldn't at least one be orange and red? I will post a pic tonight when I get home.

It'll depend on who the father is, if he was pale they could just be taking after him.
I have some bumblebee platys born yesterday, their heads are already black, but their bodies are pale as yet

Orange or red ones are born orange. The orange in some developes into red, like on the wag tail platies which are normally born orange with black on the fins and tail. Yellow ones are born yellow. It is quite obvious with platies what they will be.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back