driftwood

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

dannykerbles

Reaction score
i recently bought a piece of driftwood from a lfs....any tips on how to get the damn thing to sink besides weighting it down...i think i am supposed to let it soak in water till it sinks...any ideas?

Mine took about a month before it would stay down on it's own. WHat i did was get a peice of slate and drill two plastic coated screws into the driftwood.

My peice if pretty big so i had a tough time getting it to stay down. It will sink on it's own now.

yeah the only way to get it to sink besides waiting it out is to put some slate on it....

mine took about 2 weeks to sink...

i boiled it for about 1 hour, to get the color out, which didnt help get the color out, but once i put it in the tank, it sunk right away

To get the tannins out of my wood, and to get it waterlogged took almost 3 months in a bucket with a powerhead running in it and having the water changed every 3-4 days. But this was a piece of wood that I picked up on a beach. I think most of the stuff you get in the stores will sink if you weigh it down in like a bucket or whatever and keep it covered with water for a week or maybe less.

If your drift wood dose not sink right away it means that there is a lot of air in the wood. It can take a month or so to get it to sink. But the bad part is when the water goes into the wood the air will come out. Sometimes the air will bring out some bacteria and some fungus. This is not to harmful to your fish as long as they are healthy.

Most reactions

trending

Back