Driftwood

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bigd5482

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok so I'm not sure if this is just a fluke or not but yesterday I put a piece of driftwood in that I've been soaking for awhile and scrubbed and boiled and what not to get rid of parasites even though it was in the tank before I got the tank. So past 2 days Thursday and yesterday my levels finally went to 0 for amm and nitrite so thought my cycle was finally coming to an end. Yesterday's levels :

Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
PH 7.2

This mornings levels little bit of a tannins in water not much but I do say I like that look.

Amm 0
Nitrite .25
Nitrate between 10 and 20
PH 6.8 (this I'm assuming is because of the acid of the tannins)

So is this just the cycle not being completely done or can the driftwood cause the sudden change in levels?

the wood would only reduce your pH.

That's what I thought so I'm going with just a fluke and the little spike in nitrites just signaling the cycle isn't completed yet. Already did the 35% wc so will check levels later to make sure nitrites dropped back down. Ah well I"m getting close though finally been a long road having to do a fish in cycle.

Yes just carry on with your cycle as normal. Your levels will need to be reading 0 for ammonia and nitrIte for a week without any spikes to deem your cycle finished.

Did you do a fish-in cycle or fishless cycle?

Andy

Yes just carry on with your cycle as normal. Your levels will need to be reading 0 for ammonia and nitrIte for a week without any spikes to deem your cycle finished.

Did you do a fish-in cycle or fishless cycle?

Andy

Got stuck doing a fish in unfortuently. It's back down to 0 today for both and nitrates only 10 so I'm only doing WC's if I see something got to .25 if not I'm letting it be so I can see when cycle ends.

Thats fine :good:

Just keep checking your levels, and perform water changes when you see 0.25ppm for ammonia or nitrIte. Before long the 2 will stop rising and remain at zero.

Once your cycled, if you plan on adding fish, add a few at a time becuase your filter will have only built up enough good bacteria to deal with the tanks current level of ammonia being produced by your fish. When you add more fish you obviously get more ammonia so your filter will have to adjust to the new bioload. So keep an eye out and check levels after adding new fish as you may need to perform water changes again if ammonia temporarily rises slightly.

Andy

Thats fine :good:

Just keep checking your levels, and perform water changes when you see 0.25ppm for ammonia or nitrIte. Before long the 2 will stop rising and remain at zero.

Once your cycled, if you plan on adding fish, add a few at a time becuase your filter will have only built up enough good bacteria to deal with the tanks current level of ammonia being produced by your fish. When you add more fish you obviously get more ammonia so your filter will have to adjust to the new bioload. So keep an eye out and check levels after adding new fish as you may need to perform water changes again if ammonia temporarily rises slightly.

Andy

Aye once my tank is completely cycled gonna post my final stocking list to have it critiqued by everyone. I'm probably not going to add many at a time I want to give it a week in between so I don't start having spikes in my ammonia or nitrites and such.

I actually bought a log from petsmart off the shelf. Clean and boiled it for a few hours put it in the tank and found half my fish dead the next day. I tested it all by itself in a bucket and after 24hrs ammonia was 1ppm and nitrite was 5ppm or possibly off the charts. I honestly don't know how that works. It also got all slimy and turned the water white. Whatever happened I will now always test wood for a couple days before adding it to the tank.

Most reactions

Back