Driftwood "snot"

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Slaphppy7

Mod-o-holic
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
A common, usually harmless gelatinous goo that can/will emanate from sunken wood in our tanks, after days/weeks/months in our tanks.

I've had it in the past, with various types of driftwood, but check out this big hunk on a piece of spiderwood in my 40B, that didn't show up for several months after immersing in the tank...I usually see it earlier than that with the DW I've used...but gadzooks, this thing is taking on a life of it's own, lol...about the size of a billiard ball...I normally advise leaving this stuff alone, it eventually abates on it's own, some fish will even nibble on it...but I might yank "The Blob" off this weekend, during the WC, before it escapes the tank and engulfs me in my sleep

Attachments

• DW snot.jpg
    DW snot.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 94
Looks tasty! :hey:

I usually only get this “snot” when I collect from the wild. Whenever I buy store bought driftwood, it usually doesn’t produce it.

Looks tasty! :hey:

I usually only get this “snot” when I collect from the wild. Whenever I buy store bought driftwood, it usually doesn’t produce it.
My experience was the same, until I purchased some SW from a seller on ebay...which I've done more than once...but wow, I've never seen THAT much "snot", since my kids were young....

I've really grown fond of "spider wood" for my tanks, as my older driftwood (collected "in the wild") with my daughter, many years ago, has deteriorated.

I don't use ebay often, but there's ALOT of all kinds of spider wood there for sale, I look often, and wish I had more tanks, lol

There's so many shapes and sizes, and it sinks easily, with minimum effort

I had this for months on my new driftwood, Purchased from a reputable aquatics store too.
I kept scraping it off then it came back, i was just about to chuck the wood out, until i got Nerites,They seemed to have taked care of it now. Unless its coincedental & just dissapeared

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back