Driftwood Inquiry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FriendlyFriendlyFish

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for some advice on driftwood. I just purchased a small piece of Malaysian driftwood from my LFS. I was looking for Bogwood for my BN Pleco but the guy at the LFS had never heard of it before. The store also have Monapi wood. Does anyone know if Malaysian or Mopani wood is good for BN plecos? I understand that they get nutrients from the wood so I want to make sure I have the right kind. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also if anyone had tips on treating the wood before I put it in my tank that would be great too! Thanks everyone 
smile.png

I only purchase Malaysian driftwood and my BN plecos are as healthy as can be.  Good luck with yours.

I think Mopani is to hard for plecs.
Before putting it in the tank, run some boiling water over it & let it soak for a day or two changing the water daily.
It may leech tannins but it's not harmful to the fish, I like slightly stained water it gives the tank a more natural look

FriendlyFriendlyFish said:
Thank you so much! Do you do anything to treat the wood before it goes in the tank?

Many people like to soak driftwood in hot water before adding to their tanks but all I actually do is rinse mine.  Like Lillefishy has indicated, it will stain your water.

Ave been soaking some natural drift wood for about two weeks now! Stinkin things still won't sink! Maybe I should buy some. It was already said but boiling water should fo it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back