Driftwood In A Tanganyika Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

CoryFever

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently bought a nice piece of driftwood at my local LFS with the intention to start up a South AmericanĀ apistos tank. I have changed my mind however, and I would like to start up a tank for the Tanganyika cichlids. I can't return the driftwood, and all my other tanks have no room. The driftwood is soaked and boiled, and no tannins are left. My question is: would driftwood in a Tanganyikan tank work? I understand it may soften the water but I plan to use crushed coral as the substrate. Don't blame me for impulse buying the driftwood, it was on sale for $1.50 per pound. :)

Driftwoods effect on PH isn't that severe, especially if you boiled out the tannins. Driftwoods effect on PH is more pronounced when 1) the tannins are being released and 2) when your water is "softer". In a tanganyika tank you're looking for harder water, so the PH drop should be very minimal. I'd say you're probably fine.Ā 

Driftwood should be fine. I kept some semblance of driftwood in my tank whether they were SA or african. Its good for most algae eaters

Driftwood is okay but its surface will crack little by little over time due to hard water corrosion. (after a very long time, don't worry) :D

It will be okay and look great. I have had driftwood in my tanks while successfully breeding several different African species. It won't hurt a bit. They actually like to hide under it and swim around it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back