FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

newmag1659

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi!

I have a piece of driftwood that grew driftwood fungus almost immediately about 6 weeks ago. I looked around online and was told to leave it be and it'll go away. Well, it hasn't gone away and has now appeared to spread to my plants. I also have a very thick biofilm that my 3 gardneri killifish and 6 corys won't eat, obviously. It is a 10 gallon tank that is heavily planted. Should I get some snails? I have pest snails but they aren't doing anything to help, plus I remove them whenever I see them. I love the look of mystery snails (and have some in my other tanks) but I know their bioload can be kinda big. Are nerite snails a good option? If so, how many? Would I have room for a small algae eater like a couple otos or siamese algae eaters? I would get shrimp but killis are notorious for eating them if they can fit in their mouth.

Thanks!

Pictures?

Take the wood out and hose it off. Scoop out the remaining gunk. If it comes back on the wood, try soaking the wood in salt water for a week, then rinse with fresh water and try again.

Pictures?

Take the wood out and hose it off. Scoop out the remaining gunk. If it comes back on the wood, try soaking the wood in salt water for a week, then rinse with fresh water and try again.

Attachments

• 74903060-0CDF-4AE0-AD20-CA26CCFF2666.jpeg
    74903060-0CDF-4AE0-AD20-CA26CCFF2666.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 109
Iā€™m having this problem during silent cycle. Though nowhere near as bad as the above pic.
Two roots from one shop been ok then I added another from a different shop. The last Iā€™ve scrubbed, hosed down and poured boiling water over yet itā€™s returned. Iā€™ve thrown it away now.
Unfortunately the nearest root to it in the tank has now started showing signs. Iā€™ve scrubbed and hosed and poured boiling water on this one now. If it comes back Iā€™ll do it again then soak in saltwater for a week as advised.

I too have this issue at the moment in a new tank - but weirdly wood that was soaked and used years ago, it was dried out and then I've put it into my new tank now.

Although unsightly it is safe for the fish and inhabitants. You could try shrimp, I've heard they will pick at it? Alternatively, have you tried scrubbing it in tank with a toothbrush and syphoning out the debris, your filter will help pick some of it up too?

Wills

I too have this issue at the moment in a new tank - but weirdly wood that was soaked and used years ago, it was dried out and then I've put it into my new tank now.

Although unsightly it is safe for the fish and inhabitants. You could try shrimp, I've heard they will pick at it? Alternatively, have you tried scrubbing it in tank with a toothbrush and syphoning out the debris, your filter will help pick some of it up too?

Wills
Iā€™m about to move a few hours away on Saturday, so when I do that, Iā€™m planning to scrub everything really, really well and hope it goes away. If not, Iā€™ll get rid of the piece I have and try something else. Either way I think Iā€™m in the market for some nerite snails for the biofilm.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back