Dragon Info Needed

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

shelaghfishface

the one and only
Reaction score
need as much information on bearded dragons as i can get my hands on please.. any little snippet would be gratefully received

have fallen in love with an unrelated young pair at my local reptile shop.. but i want all the info before diving in ( equipment and care)

many thanks
shelagh xxxx

My ex-housemate has one, from living with one, the best advice I can give is get a large home for it.. they benefit from it!

Eh, she said it was ok (I think she started off with a 3ft for one and then got a 4ft for two), I felt it was not. They're very active animals and you will need to handle them every day anyway, so it depends how you feel about them not having that much space when you are not at home.. Either way, they are really fun animals and have really good characters usually :)

they do get a decent size and do appear like little characters.

One thing I would check and I don;t know the answer is if they are any good to handle, my lizard is and it makes a difference

Yes, they are good to handle. You can even take them with you outside (on a leash, of course).

Hi! I have had dragons in the past and will, by the end of the month, be getting a baby :good: :wub:

They are lovely lizards, the 'puppy dog' of reptiles, IMO, and I would reccomend them immediately, especially to a person that needed a friendly, versatile, hardy, first-time reptile.

Feeding them is pretty strait forward, as long as you can stand crickets. When I first got into Beardies, I was trying to go around feeding live prey, but eventually I had to accept it. If you're okay with dead insects, than you can get a vibrating dish to feed them on (Dragons only respond to movement). Dragons will eat ANYTHING... I always feed them my veggie scraps, but make sure you know which types aren't good (no spinach!). They'll eat fruit and veggies, and sometimes I give them a little spoonful of cat food as a treat... lol... funny things like that :)

To start them off, when they're little babies, a 20 gal is fine, but you'll have to get a 50 gallon soon for a single, and a 75+ gallon for two dragons. I hold my dragons all the time... this really gets them used to it. I don't let them run around, but I'll take them with me to watch T.V., and feed them treats on the couch for an hour or so... :wub:

As for lamps, they need a UV lamp (florescent), and a heat lamp. I put them in aquariums with the lids that have the tube lights (UV) on top, and then put in an extra heat lamp. You can also use Mercury Vapor Bulbs (2 in 1!)

That's all I can think of... I'll try and give you more info and answer any questions!!!

-Z

need as much information on bearded dragons as i can get my hands on please.. any little snippet would be gratefully received

have fallen in love with an unrelated young pair at my local reptile shop.. but i want all the info before diving in ( equipment and care)

many thanks
shelagh xxxx

I thought adult dragons wont live well as a pair in a tank?

Ive looked after them when people have gone away (they just bring their tank over) but Ive never had one personally. They are great for beginners and like people had said they will eat ANYTHING. Feeding can be a pain though with bugs, Ive had locus in the tank with the dragon for a week before it decides its going to eat it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back