Dragged Back Into The Hobby

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MisssMarie

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Well, I was out of the hobby for a bit. I gave away my last betta in February, and I thought I was out. I had been up to 10 bettas and got overwhelmed by the water changes I had to do every week. Well, I now work at Walmart while I search for something better, and today I was passing by the pets department, I saw 3 bettas floating belly up. Near them was a small veil tail betta male. He was sick, suffering from lack of water changes, no proper care, etc. I now have a small betta in my room. I only have a 1.5 gallon tank. I used to have others, but I just gave them away. As well as my food, water conditioner, and most of my medicines. I know for a fact he has not had a water change in at least three weeks. I set up the 1.5 gallon, and am aclimating him now (I found a small bit of water conditioner left). I currently have a drip rate of one drop every 5 seconds to slowly acclimate him. I'll post pics in a bit, since as I remember,  you guys quite enjoy those. He has no name yet as I just bought him less than an hour ago. I wish I'd planned ahead more, but I couldn't exactly leave him. I do have some frozen bloodworms to feed him for a while, ought to help get him healthy! Any tips to get him healthy quicker? His tank is 1.5 gallons and he will have a Marimo ball and a mystery snail in his tank as well. I might also have a little hiding hole to add as well. I'll get photos before bed tonight for everyone

Cool! It would be better to upgrade to 5g if you can afford it.
I'd love to see pics of the betta!

If he had a bigger tank then that would help him get healthier faster. About 5 gallons would be the minimum I would recommend.
Some Indian Almond Leaves would most likely help as well. 
The best thing would be to provide him with plenty of fresh water. Just make sure to buy some more water conditioner (and a heater and filter). :)

Looking forward to the pics. :D

Currently haven't been able to get a good photo of the little bother. He is now nicely acclimated and settling in. I'm now acclimating the marimo ball and the snail as well.
I'd love to get him into a 5 gallon, but as it is, I had to use this weeks drink money (no soda for me) to buy this buddy. He currently has a filter and heater, and he seems to be doing well. I also had made a deal with my family - no more fish. So, they're quite peeved with me already as it is. Once he's better, he may end up going to a new home who will care for him properly. As it is, I'll do what I can for him.

Edit: i say bother affectionately

Sounds good then and I look forward to pictures and seeing his progress. :) Make sure to keep us updated.

Oh of course I will guys! He's settled in now, as is the snail and Marimo ball. They're doing well now, and I'm leaving them be. I shut off the lights, and they'll be left alone for a while. Give them time to de-stress

If kept in the 1.5, you will need to be very diligent on water changes to keep the water pristine.  Water changes need to be done every other day but in the condition is in, it might be best to do the water changes every day.  100% to make sure you remove all the bad stuff from the water and keep the water at around 80F to promote healing.

I wish I could just hop over and bring you a 5 gallon! It is so nice that you took him in, and are giving him a chance!

Here, in Canada we have an online site where you can get things second hand, ours is Kijiji, I think you guys in the States have Craig's list. Do a search on there and maybe you can find a 5 gallon for cheap or even for free. You could also put up your own add, maybe someone is willing to donate a 5 gallon tank to your cause!? 

Good luck to you and this little guy!

i think that places that sell bettas should really take much better care of them!!! 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back