Dr Tim’s Ammonium Solution

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guppylover3x

Fish Addict
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I’ve set up a 5 gallon tank for Betta that needs cycling.

I’m wondering if anyone has ever used dr tim’s ammonium chloride solution before to do this? And if this was effective or not.

I’ve never done a fishless cycle before, so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

With a single Betta in a 5 gallon tank, I would not waste time on cycling. If you have floating plants, that will take care of it.

With a single Betta in a 5 gallon tank, I would not waste time on cycling. If you have floating plants, that will take care of it.
Thank you very much for your reply @Byron

I haven’t got floating plants. But I have added some live plants in. Floating plants aren’t really available in the stores I go to. But I’ll try look into getting some, and adding a fish soon.

:thanks:

Thank you very much for your reply @Byron

I haven’t got floating plants. But I have added some live plants in. Floating plants aren’t really available in the stores I go to. But I’ll try look into getting some, and adding a fish soon.

:thanks:
Some of the stem plants can be grown quite nicely left floating. Pennywort is my favourite, but Wisteria and similar also work. The aim is to have fast growing plants, and floaters and stem plants are best for this, to use the ammonia rapidly. And the Betta likes floating plants.

Some of the stem plants can be grown quite nicely left floating. Pennywort is my favourite, but Wisteria and similar also work. The aim is to have fast growing plants, and floaters and stem plants are best for this, to use the ammonia rapidly. And the Betta likes floating plants.
Thank you for the information and your help!

Why waste time cycling another tank when you already have an established tank?
You can use some of the filter media from your established tank to set up the new tank.

You can use some of the filter media from your established tank to set up the new tank.
I tried this, it didn’t work.

if the filter was established, then it should have worked.
If you check my previous thread that you have been responding to, I explained why I don’t think it worked. The filtration system is completely different. My little sponge wouldn’t have made any difference. In comparison to the size of the filter media for the new tank.

I tried this, it didn’t work.
if the filter was established, then it should have worked.
How would I know if it’s worked or not? You mentioned not looking for nitrates yet in my other thread.

Everything is showing up at zero currently.

It doesn't matter how big the sponge is. If it's covered in filter bacteria you can have a sponge that is 1 inch cube and it will colonise the new material in a couple of days.

Once you move the established material across, and you have fish in the tank and are feeding them, you monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels for a couple of weeks. If there's no ammonia or nitrite, the filter has taken and is established. Give it 2 months before cleaning the new media and it's done.

How about adding some of your pretty gravel? And since no one has bothered to answer your original question, yes, I have used Dr. Tim’s ammonia and it worked great!

How about adding some of your pretty gravel? And since no one has bothered to answer your original question, yes, I have used Dr. Tim’s ammonia and it worked great!
Thank you @Deanasue for answering my question!

I plan to stock on some more pretty gravel it’s pretty cheap, so I may go a little over board when next in store lol.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back