Down on my luck

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GuppyLover23

Reaction score
-_- I think I might give up fishkeeping....I have had problems with the tank I have almost from the beginning.......It's a 29gal and have not been able to keep the ammonia down and fish fatality has been high as well. I have one fish left (a parrot<yes I know, bought him without knowing about the way they manufacture them>) It's almost funny cuz I had better luck with a 20 gal I had a few years ago when I knew nothing about fishkeeping whatsoever. If in my attempts to save this fish and stabilize the tank fail, I think I might sell the tank :sad: This is really frustrating and has been getting exspensive trying to get the tank where it needs to be with having to buy chemicals so often.......oh well, just needed to get that out. We'll see how it goes in this next week........ :/

Take the parrot back to the fs,do a complete water change and start again from scratch,waiting at least 4 weeks before adding any fish.The break from the stress of a problem tank will do you good and the experience you have gained this time will help you enjoy your tank more when you do get some new fish.
We all go through the dispair of losing fish and poor water quality problems,i have said i'm packing it in on more than one occasion,but with fish keeping we are constantly learning and even bad experiences help us to be better fish keepers in the long run. :)

Hmmm thanks for the suggestion......I think I might try that and try again

Well called a different fish store that I have frequented and found out the root of my problem.....so I think I'll be alright, he gave me some suggestions to follow and some things not to do(like keep adding cycle live bacteria) No wonder I was having trouble......well we'll see how it goes.......I hate fs that just try and load you up with chemicals that you should only use once or really dont need if you use one other product just so they can add some $$$$$$ to their bank accounts. Oh well. Well here's a second shot

one of my friends had this problem, what he did was give his fish to friends then broke his tank down completly he even removed all of the silicone sealant then resealed the tank with the proper sealer bought everything new for his tank then started again and he had no such problems I know this is abit extreme but it worked for him so you never know. DON'T give up you will one day reep the benifits again :D

I did a fishless cycle that worked for me. It took about 14 days from start to finish with the use of plain old house ammonia. I didnt have any bacteria to start from, so it was from scratch. When my ammonia spiked and starting dropping and the nitrites began I added plants to the tank. I kept a daily log of the water parameters so if I wanted to do it again to a new tank I could do it with better judgements. Fishless cycle worked for me!!!!!!!!!!!! No loss to fish or the wallet. If you do a search on google with fishless cycle you will come up with about 6 sites that tell you how. Its very worthwhile to look at. The only thing to remember dont add any ammonia when you reach a high nitrite spike as over abundance of the ammonia kills the good bacteria.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back