Dosing ferts after WC with Prime

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lady Di

Reaction score
Hello! I am so confused about dosing ferts after wc. I have read so many conflicting things, so Ive come to ask the professionals 😍!
Some say to dose ferts the same day as wc, some say dont if using Prime (which I do) as the Prime binds the ferts. Should you dose excel the same day as a wc or should you wait till the following morning. I have grown to love my plants almost as much as my fish, and just want to give them what they need. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Not sure about Prime binding with plant fertiliser unless there is ammonia in the fertiliser and aquarium plant fertilisers don't have ammonia in them.

I used to add aquarium plant fertiliser a few hours after water changing the tanks. I water changed all the tanks, cleaned covers, etc, then after they were all done, I went and added fertilisers to the plant tanks.

I used Wardley's Tri Start, which doesn't have all the stuff in that some other dechlorinators have.

Thank you!! I think i will wait a couple hours than add from now on!!

We had a thread (two threads actually) on this topic a few weeks ago. @Essjay can probably track them down better than I can, I never have luck finding old threads. But the Prim does make a big difference.

Prime binds the heavy metals somehow (Essjay can correct me, but I believe Seachem will not say "how" and this is the issue) so adding these mineral nutrients in a comprehensive liquid fertilizer is not going to have as much benefit as waiting 36 or so hours, which is what Seachem do advise.

I use API Tp Water Conditioner, which does not "bind" in the same way but actually detoxifies the heavy metal in such a way as they can be taken up by plants. I add the liquid fertilizer after I complete the water change now.

Prime is actually not as great a product as many seem to believe. The way it messes with the nitrogen cycle, how it detoxifies metals, etc, are things I do not want in my aquaria with fish.

Excel was mentioned, this is not safe. It is a derivative of glutaraldehyde (according to Seachem themselves) and that simply should never go in a tank with fish. I know some other members don't agree with me, fine, but facts are facts and I do not think this product is at all safe.

There was a discussion about EDTA and whether or not we should add fertilisers the same day as using a water conditioner which contains this. Then in another thread, two members posted links to different fertilisers which list EDTA in their ingredients, so if some fertilisers contain EDTA it is presumably safe to add fertilisers after using a water conditioner containing EDTA (such as API Tap Water Conditioner)
But as Byron noted, Seachem won't say what's in Prime and there is a possibility it contains something which means fertilisers should not be added at the same time.

This is one of the threads mentioned by Bryon - it started out as a discussion on water conditioners containing aloe vera, then moved on to those containing EDTA

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back