🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AquaPit

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I just bought a bottle of CO2 tablets

My tank is a 30cm cube tank with low-tech plants with my Betta

I am using liquid fertilisers once a week

I was told to use CO2 tablets as well

How to dose those tablets? Is it necessary? Is it safe? Anyone with experience using such tablets?

Attachments

• IMG_20141007_123046.jpg
    IMG_20141007_123046.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 171
Have never used co2 tablets before. :/ sorry

Is there some instructions on the bottle?

Might be of help if you can describe and what brand these tablets are, then someone may know exactly what they are, or at least able to research a little more for you.

Really nice little tank btw :)

Used many liquid CO2 products but never heard of tablets.. I'd be worried the fish try and peck at it?

Ch4rlie said:
Have never used co2 tablets before. :/ sorry

Is there some instructions on the bottle?

Might be of help if you can describe and what brand these tablets are, then someone may know exactly what they are, or at least able to research a little more for you.

Really nice little tank btw :)
tks Ch4rlie! I will get more info about the tablets and post a pic once I get hm..

techen said:
Used many liquid CO2 products but never heard of tablets.. I'd be worried the fish try and peck at it?
The CO2 tablets will 'fizz-out' very fast in the water, as told by the lfs guy, and it will not harm the fishes..

I was told to put one tablet once a day, every day.. And the lfs guy said, to put it in just after I turn off the light.. becoz of some photosynthesis thingy.. to which i ignore his advice!

I wouldn't use these.  It has been years since I think I heard of CO2 tablets but they never became common.  I can't see them doing anything to be honest.

Plants need CO2 during the light period (daylight to the plants, when the tank light is on).  And they need CO2 continually during the light period, or photosynthesis will slow and may cease.  There is normally sufficient CO2 in an established tank to provide for the plants in a low-tech or natural set-up.  The CO2 occurs from the breakdown of organics by bacteria, primarily in the substrate, and it slowly builds during the night.  When the light comes on, the plants begins to take up the CO2.

Plants will photosynthesize to the max according to the available level of all 17 nutrients and if light is sufficient intensity.  As soon as any factor in this equation is reduced, photosynthesis will slow.  So I cannot see CO2 from dissolved tablets providing what is needed.  I suggest you save your money.

As for someway being detrimental to fish, I am not certain, but I would be concerned if this release of CO2 is rapid and at night.  The natural process I mentioned above is gradual, and unless the tank is heavily stocked the fish are not harmed.

Byron.

Byron said:
I wouldn't use these.  It has been years since I think I heard of CO2 tablets but they never became common.  I can't see them doing anything to be honest.

Plants need CO2 during the light period (daylight to the plants, when the tank light is on).  And they need CO2 continually during the light period, or photosynthesis will slow and may cease.  There is normally sufficient CO2 in an established tank to provide for the plants in a low-tech or natural set-up.  The CO2 occurs from the breakdown of organics by bacteria, primarily in the substrate, and it slowly builds during the night.  When the light comes on, the plants begins to take up the CO2.

Plants will photosynthesize to the max according to the available level of all 17 nutrients and if light is sufficient intensity.  As soon as any factor in this equation is reduced, photosynthesis will slow.  So I cannot see CO2 from dissolved tablets providing what is needed.  I suggest you save your money.

As for someway being detrimental to fish, I am not certain, but I would be concerned if this release of CO2 is rapid and at night.  The natural process I mentioned above is gradual, and unless the tank is heavily stocked the fish are not harmed.

Byron.
Appreciate the time you've put in to explain! Thank You Byron! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back