Don't Release Your Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Anyone with half a brain would know better than to release fish. I mean, maybe I'm just giving people more credit than I should, but DUH.

Good topic though Loach, interesting.

Well to bad there a lot of stupid people in this world.

May be interesting to note that on that website it mentions what can be done with an 'unwanted' fish.

"...a veterinarian or fishery biologist can euthanize it (put it to sleep) with anesthetic. You can also do this at home by placing the fish in a container of water and putting it into the freezer. Because cold temperature is a natural anesthetic to tropical fishes, this is considered a very humane method of euthanasia."

A lot of people on here (it's in the stickys) consider freezing a cruel and painful death.

Who to believe :dunno:

Looking at that site...there sure are a lot of fish being released in southern Florida. Maybe I'll just give up fishkeeping and buy a house on a lake down there! :lol:

CP, the issue here is not how to euthenise the fish, even if you disect it live with a rusty pair of specticles its still infinitly better than letting it go.

Iron Man said:
Looking at that site...there sure are a lot of fish being released in southern Florida. Maybe I'll just give up fishkeeping and buy a house on a lake down there! :lol:
Yeah no kidding, to bad I'd hate to have my house ripped apart a few times a year by hurricanes :lol:

Yeah, releasing fish into the wild is dumb and it appears its mainly fish who outgrow their owners tanks but on the other what can you expect from somone who didn't even bother to research their fish's max size in the first place? Not that thats any consolation anyway...
When i used to live in Australia, i was visiting friend who lived right next door to the towns park which happened to have a lake in the middle of it. We were taking her dogs for a walk around the lake one day when i saw somthing huge and orange lurking in the shallows... as it came closer we realised it was this HUGE moster sized koi karp, no kidding it was 3ft long!!! Over the next week we counted 4 of them, 3 being 3ft+ long and one 2ft long white one- we considered catching them but it would've looked quite dodgey doing that in the towns lake in its park.

Has anyone here seen a fish in a natural pond/lake/river that wasn't native or shouldn't have been there?

Yup our local river has masses of goldfish in, some pretty hefty ones too. The only preditory fish in the local water system are trout so once the goldies reach an average size they have nothing to kep them in check.

Most reactions

trending

Back