Krib6800

Reaction score
My 45G is currently stocked with

- 12 Neon Tetras
- 8 Otos
- 8 Guppy Endlers
- 4 Panda Cories
- 1 Male Kribensis

I was wondering if anyone have some good suggestions for a colorful/good schooling fish that would make a good addition to the tank. Thanks!

Note: I use to have black skirt tetras and diamond tetras in the tank too but I have sold them, these are the fish I am not interested in for the additional stocking.

Not Kribensis. Try an Apistogramma of some sort. Don't bother about the guppies either, for the top of the tank have Hatchet fish or Clown Killis

I'm sorry that was rude of me, I didn't realize that it was the fish you already have. My comments still stand though. Kribensis are usually trouble long term and I think there are better choices for the top of the tank than Guppies.

You are already about 90% stocked.
Kribensis prefer to be in pairs. Perhaps you could get a female?
I was thinking of doing this but I don't how i'll deal with the babies (heavily planted tank so it will be difficult to get them). Also I worry that my krib may get aggressive due to breeding although my male has been very peaceful since I have gotten him

I'm sorry that was rude of me, I didn't realize that it was the fish you already have. My comments still stand though. Kribensis are usually trouble long term and I think there are better choices for the top of the tank than Guppies.
I was thinking for more of middle dwelling fish to be alongside the neons. Maybe even just getting more neons. But as for my Krib, I've had him for over a year now and he has been very peaceful.

I would leave well enough alone, i.e., leave the solitary krib to enjoy life on his own.

You do need more panda cories, a group of 9-12 would be my aim. They need a sand substrate to function properly. Eight otos is a lot, but not a problem. They will inevitably not find enough natural algae with so many, but they do get used to sinking wafers like Omega One Veggie Rounds. There is carnivorous food in these too, for the cories who do not do well with veggies.

You have plenty of space for additional species, beyond the increased cories. Hatchetfish for the surface perhaps? Or Penguin Tetras?

What are the water parameters, referring to the GH (hardness), pH and temperature? We are suggesting fairly adaptable fish but should know these numbers to expand (hopefully) the options. Temperature you can control (except during heat waves!) and you have cooler species (pandas, neons) so nothing that needs high temperatures will work.

You have plenty of space for additional species, beyond the increased cories. Hatchetfish for the surface perhaps? Or Penguin Tetras?
So the stocking level will still be fine even with the cories and the addition of another fish type? As for the hatchet fish, my tank doesn't have a lid and I heard that they were jumpers so I'm unsure whether it'd workout.
What are the water parameters, referring to the GH (hardness), pH and temperature? We are suggesting fairly adaptable fish but should know these numbers to expand (hopefully) the options. Temperature you can control (except during heat waves!) and you have cooler species (pandas, neons) so nothing that needs high temperatures will work.
My pH is like 7.0. - 7.2, my GH is like 7 - 8 and my temp is usually between 24C - 26C.

So the stocking level will still be fine even with the cories and the addition of another fish type? As for the hatchet fish, my tank doesn't have a lid and I heard that they were jumpers so I'm unsure whether it'd workout.

My pH is like 7.0. - 7.2, my GH is like 7 - 8 and my temp is usually between 24C - 26C.

I'll assume the GH is in dH (not ppm) so that is moderately soft and not bad at all, same for pH. And the temperature is bang on for the neons and pandas. And yes, additional fish are OK.

Yes, hatchetfish jump, especially at night when something below might startle them. Many fish will do the same, even cories have been known to take flight from uncovered tanks during night. Is there a reason the tank is open?

I'll assume the GH is in dH (not ppm) so that is moderately soft and not bad at all, same for pH. And the temperature is bang on for the neons and pandas. And yes, additional fish are OK.

Yes, hatchetfish jump, especially at night when something below might startle them. Many fish will do the same, even cories have been known to take flight from uncovered tanks during night. Is there a reason the tank is open?
Other than for aesthetics, my tank has a big piece of driftwood sticking out and with a lid my lighting isn't as bright as I want it to be.

Other than for aesthetics, my tank has a big piece of driftwood sticking out and with a lid my lighting isn't as bright as I want it to be.

You can make your own cover from galss or plexiglass. There are kits of plain glass covers that fit standard tanks. Either option can be made to accommodate the wood and any light fixture sits across the tank frame. There are benefits to a cover, but no detriments.

Most reactions

trending

Back