Don't Know Much About Bettas, Anything Special?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ech0o

Fishaholic
Reaction score
We have been bringing some bettas in from overseas and this one really stood out to me as a beatiful fish.   Anything special?   Really a beautiful fish!!!!

E4SRFlml.jpg

Very nice, it looks to be a marble which means it will more than likely change usually becoming darker with age.

Nice little Betta, like you, i do not know much about these but what lovely colours and with green being my favourite colour........ ;)

There is a popular set up where you have a Betta fish in a tank with a plant. The Betta fish eats the plant roots, and the fish waste is taken care of by the plant. DO NOT DO THAT! Bettas are insect eaters, so they have to eat meat. A betta may nibble on the plants when he's starving enough to do so, but its not nutritionally complete, and he will starve to death.
There is another myth that bettas don't like space, and would prefer a one gallon tank to a ten gallon tank. This myth is based on the fact that bettas can survive in tiny spaces. They can survive, but not thrive. Bettas should have at least five gallons, and a heater and filter. They like the water at 78 degrees Fahrenheit. A lid is ideal to keep them from jumping out, and they need access to the surface because they gulp air.
Good luck with your betta, Ech0o, he is really gorgeous!

Also, I've seen on fish store websites half gallon bowls that they advocate you keep two bettas in. The two bettas are each in a quarter of a gallon of water, and can't really move much! The provided divider with the tank is see through, so the bettas can see one another! Any bettta living in that tank will be stressed because he isn't in enough water, he doesn't have a filter or heater, and he can see another betta all day every day.
Each betta should have at least five gallons to himself, and should not be able to see other bettas.

Thanks for the link!
Was very informative and answered a lot of questions. .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back