Done my best (I hope)(sorry long post)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

skimpy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi everyone, well I hope I've done the right thing for my fish, time will now tell. Some of you will have read my previous post Previous post about Trish, my molly that died. Well the same day she died the other four molly's started to hide and act strange so action and investigations were needed. I spoke to two (good) lfs's, did lots of reading, took into account what you all said in previous post, really studied my fish for any symptons of illness and this is what I did. I hope I did right. :S

The night Trish died I added some general tonic (Interpet No5) and took out my carbon.

The next day on advice I introduced bloodworms as I had only given them flake and algae tablets before. But no improvement to the Mollys they were all hiding and not eating much. No external symptons of illness so we had to look further at water quality. :S

Salt was a problem for me because of my plecs, the Am NitrIte and NitrAte all fine so we looked further into the PH which was 7.0. My lfs also tested the GH and KH for me the GH was 3 and the KH 2. :/

We then looked up information of my fish and found that generally they would prefer harder water. At this time however, I also noticed that some other fish we getting very long stringy poo (one fish it was 4 inches) and at this point some of the guppies and platy's were flicking occasionally against rocks. :-(

We felt that one problem was the water quality of the GH & KH and that being in this type of water for awhile of course can lower the fish's immunity so possibly some fish may have and internal bacterial infection. :sad:

Yesterday I did a 30% water change to clear the previous general tonic. I then added 2 kg of Calcium Plus gravel, which should help in a more natural way to increase the GH & KH of the water on a permanent basis. We put in Interpet Medication (No 9) for internal bacteria and 2 teaspoons salt (Half Dose because of plecs). :/

Already the Guppies and Platies and doing really great and three Mollies are eating swimming and doing everything normally. Unfortunately the Male Black Molly is not yet feeding and still hideing, but not dead either so their may be a little hope for him only time will tell. :D

I tested water this morning and PH is still at 7.0 (but will hopefully rise a little soon) the GH is now already at 4.5 and I do not have a test for KH but the lfs says if the GH starts to rise the KH will also be rising. Ammonia 0, NitrIte 0, and NitrAte 10.

Still a bit of stringy poo coming from some of the fish but hopefully the meds will sort this out.

:S :S :hyper: :hyper: :S :S :hyper: :fun: :fun: It been a crazy few days and I've neglected everyone at home just to concentrate on the fish, I have learned a lot and hopefully got the environment a bit closer to what the fish would want in a natural fashion.

I hope everything goes well ;)

It's always good to learn someting new about a hobby that will help us later on, especially fishkeeping.

I think if I were a sick fishy, I'd want you for an owner. :) :p Sounds like you couldn't have gone about all that better. Good luck, hope they return to normal and remain nice and healthy!

Good luck with the tank, although I have to say that I would be surprised if GH/ KH was much of a problem considering the type of fish (I wouldnt have thought they would be sensitive althought I havnt got a clue how far outside the normal range your results were).

Good luck with the tank, although I have to say that I would be surprised if GH/ KH was much of a problem considering the type of fish (I wouldnt have thought they would be sensitive althought I havnt got a clue how far outside the normal range your results were).

Perhaps you would find this helpful - I have highlighted Mollies and my readings were GH 3° and KH 2

GH & KH RANGE_________AQUARIUM LIFE

0°-3° (0-50 ppm)..........................discus, arowanas, elephantnose, neons, cardinals, live plants

3°-6° (50-100 ppm).............most tropical fish including angelfish, cichlids, tetras, botia, live plants

6°-11° (100-200 ppm)..................most tropical fish including swordtails, guppies, mollies, goldfish

11°-22° (200-400 ppm)...............Rift lake cichlids, goldfish, brackish water fish

:cool:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back