dogs?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Hey all,
Took in a practically dead dog. Anyone know anything about dog sickness? I'll post a picture after it's settled down.
Yes, get it to a vet! If it's nearly dead, it's beyond layman first aid and needs medical attention from a vet. some shelters may be able to take it in and give it veterinary attention, with you asking to be on the list to adopt the dog if it survives, but not sure on availability or protocol for that in the US I'm afraid.

I found the owner! She's getting picked up soon :).

How is the dog half dead though? In what way? Was it an escaped dog, or abused/neglected? You have me all worried now! Any pics?
Nope, it just ran away. I thought it was dying because it turns out it was a 19 year old dog o_O. The dog went right to the owner and practically jumped in his arms, so I'm not worried :).

Nope, it just ran away. I thought it was dying because it turns out it was a 19 year old dog o_O. The dog went right to the owner and practically jumped in his arms, so I'm not worried :).
Oh that's really good to hear! Happy that it was you who found him, and that you found the owner!

19 is a great age! Have had a dog reach 18 before and was happy she lived that long, 19 is rare. Can definitely be hard to tell with an elderly dog. If someone found my 14 year old dog, they'd probably think the same. He has advanced arthritis, balance problems because he's had two episodes of idiopathic vestibular syndrome, and he can get confused and look a bit spacey at times. But he's cherished and well taken care of, sees the vet and is on medications for the arthritis and vestibular syndrome, and still enjoys a gentle daily walk, his food and fuss, so we're just loving on him while we have him. But if someone else found him and didn't know any of that, they might think he was injured or in a bad way.

For future reference, if you find a dog and it isn't bleeding and doesn't have any physical injuries, be careful handling it. If it's safe to handle, the best thing to do is offer it some water and keep it cool in summer and warm in winter.

If it has injuries or can't walk properly, or is foaming at the mouth, get it to a vet asap.

For future reference, if you find a dog and it isn't bleeding and doesn't have any physical injuries, be careful handling it. If it's safe to handle, the best thing to do is offer it some water and keep it cool in summer and warm in winter.

If it has injuries or can't walk properly, or is foaming at the mouth, get it to a vet asap.
Thanks Colin. Will do.

Thanks Colin. Will do.
Much as I love Colin and agree with most everything he says usually, I disagree strongly with going anywhere near a dog that's foaming at the mouth. Rabies is no joke, and it's a risk in the US. If you see an animal, any animal that's foaming at the mouth, don't get near it and call Animal Control. Let them handle it, they're trained.

Much as I love Colin and agree with most everything he says usually, I disagree strongly with going anywhere near a dog that's foaming at the mouth. Rabies is no joke, and it's a risk in the US. If you see an animal, any animal that's foaming at the mouth, don't get near it and call Animal Control. Let them handle it, they're trained.
Grazie :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back