Dog/cat food for fish???

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

joeyr188

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I recently came across a video and he casually put some dog food in the tank I then decided to go on yt and the internet and I found out people do it I’m puzzled is it safe if so what brands would be safe thanks?

Reactions: Ooo
There are many things done online...

Fish can't properly digest the fats that mammals handle well, so dog or cat food in a tank will foul the water and not provide proper nutrition. Sure, you could put it in the tank and the fish would eat it, but it wouldn't work very well.

When I was a kid, my grandpa had a secret, favorite fishing hole for catfish, where he would bring me to catch fish.

The first time he brought me there, he had me scoop some dog food into a coffee can before we left his house...I had no idea what for, maybe there were stray dogs near the catfish pond (?)

We get to the pond, he takes a couple of handfuls of the dog food, and throws them into the pond...the surface of the pond exploded into action...dozens of catfish, of all different sizes, were hitting that dog food like they had never eaten before

They were in such a feeding frenzy, we didn't even use bait on our fish hooks...they grabbed at the hooks as they grabbed at the dog food...we could actually pick & choose the fish we wanted to catch and take home

There are many things done online...

Fish can't properly digest the fats that mammals handle well, so dog or cat food in a tank will foul the water and not provide proper nutrition. Sure, you could put it in the tank and the fish would eat it, but it wouldn't work very well.
Not to mention that dog food usually has the kinds of terrestrial grains that many of us try to avoid feeding our fish.

I've used cat, kitten and dog food as bait in traps to catch minnows. But again, it may smell good and taste good to them, but it won't feed them properly. When I got those fish home and in tanks, they never got dog food again.

My Uncle used to feed his Oscars with dog food, but he switched back to better fare when he saw the results, which weren't great, apparently.

Reactions: Ooo
And we're complaining if the dog ate the fishfood hahaha
My dog Marley LOVES fish food...she follows me between tanks every time I feed, hoping I'll drop some...which has happened...it doesn't sit on the floor for long

My old dog would have loved fish food, if we reverse the original question. Then again, she also loved deer poop. It's very difficult to trust a restaurant review from a dog.

Your post got me intrigued! Using dog food for fish? Who would've thought? The world of fishkeeping sure has its surprises. While I can't give expert advice on fish food, it's awesome to see how creative aquarium enthusiasts can be.
By the way, ever thought about bringing some culinary creativity to your own plate? How about giving Korean Cheese Corn Dogs a shot? Trust me, it's a delightful journey for your taste buds. If you're up for it, you can find a bunch of mouthwatering recipes online. Whether it's feeding your aquatic pals or satisfying your own cravings, life's all about embracing the adventure!

Last edited:
My outside doggie must really like it... I had an old can of shrimp pellets I was feeding outside to the mosquito fish & I set the can down for a second... the dog grabbed it and ran before I knew it... found the can all chewed up in the yard later...

I gave cat food to my crayfish. They loved it!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back