Does new clown have parasite??

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Apwhite

Reaction score
Today I finally got my first fish in my 10g (true percula clown) from LFS. Not long after I brought him home, I noticed some stringy white poop hanging from him. After some quick research, I found that this could be a parasite. Also, his face is slightly pale (still orange but not quite as vibrant as rest of body). Do you think this is a parasite? LFS said they feed the clowns mysis shrimp a few times a week which I know can produce similar white poop. However, Iā€™d rather be safe than sorry. Donā€™t know if this is related or just due to stress from a new tank, but I fed him soon after adding to the tank. He didnā€™t rush up to the surface and eat a ton of food, but rather nipped at some of it as it sunk. Anyways, if it is a parasite, how should I treat it? I have a trochus snail in the tank as well but thatā€™s all. Is something like prazi safe for a display tank/the snail? Any help will be appreciated, Iā€™m new to the hobby and want the best for this new fish of mine

Pictures of the tank, fish and stringy white poop?

All fish do best on a variety of foods including frozen and live foods. You can feed them on prawn/ shrimp, fish, squid, mysis shrimp, brineshriimp, etc.

Mysis shrimp does not cause stringy white poop.

Stringy white poop is caused by an internal bacterial or protozoan infection, or by intestinal worms. See the following link for information about stringy white poop in fish.

------------------------
Praziquantel is normally safe for fish an other animals. I haven't used it in tanks with marine snails so can't comment on the Trochis shell.

I'm pretty sure Flubendazole kills snails and a number of other invertebrates so avoid that and use Praziquantel and Levamisole if you want to treat the fish for intestinal worms.

However, the fish could have an internal protozoan infection and that is a bigger concern. If the fish has not started eating properly in the next few days, it might have an internal protozoan infection, especially if it is a tank raised fish ad was grown up in a commercial facility with lots of other fish.

Monitor the fish over the next few days and if it hasn't started eating properly, return it and get a different fish from a different batch.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back