Does My Violet Goby Look Like He's Doing Okay?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadameFizzgig

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My violet goby was displaying some signs of ammonia poisoning, but I've been working pretty hard to combat that. I think he's doing much better now, and hasn't been going to the surface anymore. He's also eating regularly. I recently took this video of him, does he look like he's doing alright to you?

Also, it says this in the video as well, I will soon be transferring him to a larger tank with sand substrate rather than gravel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c8NuFVSUQ4&spfreload=10

I also noticed that are are some little smudges in the video, those are on the outside of the tank, not the inside.

As soon as you can get him into sand substrate the better. I think he swallowed some gravel in your video.

He certainly seems to have an appetite though!

I will be switching him soon, I know it's better for him to have sand. I was watching him while taking this video, and he's pretty good about knowing the different between food and gravel. I didn't see him swallow any, I think my camera quality is just kind of bad so it's harder to see the difference between food/pebbles, lol. When I put the gravel in I did try to make sure that there were only larger pieces going in, just in case. Violet gobies have very small throats as well, so when he does occasionally bite a rock, he just spits it out. 

And I know! He's quite the eater, it's fun to watch. I think his coloring and such looks good too, so I think he's recovering.
smile.png

What made you think he was suffering from ammonia poisoning? Did you test the water? Just going to the surface isn't a symptom of ammonia poisoning, per se, gasping at the surface is, but it is also a symptom of nitrite poisoning, and a few other things as well.

He was gasping at the surface. I was advised to get some beneficial bacteria, and change the water 25%-50% daily. I've been doing that, and he's been doing a lot better.

Alright, I'm now actually able to give more stats because I bought the tests.

Keep in mind this is after many water changes, so ammonia definitely was higher.

Ammonia = .25
Nitrate= about 10
Nitrite= about .5 (but he's brackish, so I think the salt helps him from being affected by this?)
Alkalinity= not sure
pH= abou 7.8

I just went out and got some Prime and added it to his tank, so I'll test again once it has a bit of time to set in. I also got something to help regulate the pH, since it's a bit high.

I know 5 gallons is small, it's temporary. I'll be getting a larger tank soon.

He has been in the tank for a little over 2 weeks, and he's the only fish in the tank.

(cross posting this from my newest thread)

Yeah, not good to do that.

It gets really confusing with who said what, when and why.

Just as a precaution, I'm locking this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back