Does my betta need entertaining? How do you entertain yours?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishBearer9845

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Good afternoon all

Do you guys entertain your Betta fish in any way?

I don't want to get a mirror; I can't see the point in making him stressed and flare?

I've heard about a ping pong ball?

Any other ideas (as long as they're not ridiculous, like dressing up in a clown outfit) greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Sarah

Good afternoon all

Do you guys entertain your Betta fish in any way?

I don't want to get a mirror; I can't see the point in making him stressed and flare?

I've heard about a ping pong ball?

Any other ideas (as long as they're not ridiculous, like dressing up in a clown outfit) greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Sarah
Hi Sarah, tried my first betta with ping pong balls and he didn't want to know he preferred flaring instead but there's no harm in trying, i'm letting my Sunny a koi betta settle in before trying anything.

You might find this video helpful ;)

I strongly advise showing your Betta interesting/brightly coloured/shiny objects.

I used to wiggle this bright orange USB cable in front of my Betta and he used to love it. He would literally wiggle around with excitement and stare. Shiny stuff is good, think tablespoons etc, they used to get him very excited aswell.

Also try showing him a bottle of liquid, for example a half-finished bottle of mouthwash or lucozade, and swirl it in front of him, that was another thing that got my Betta excited, he seemed to love seeing liquids.

Used to do it on the regular, not every day but 1-2 times a week, show him in assortment of objects through the glass of the tank.

Rest in Peace Wihtgar.

Last edited:
Mine loves it when I move stuff around, because the flow is low even the floating plants and Betta log stay in one place, so once a week I move the surface bits around, when I do he goes into patrolling and building another bubble nest, it gets mixed up again for water change at the end of the week. Now he builds the most incredible bubble nest overnight in the fear it might not be there long.... sometimes I feel mean but it really keeps him busy and happy.

when I’ve changed decor around or swapped something I always thought it would stress him out but if anything he gets very curious and has a nosy about when I’m done, I can tell it excites him.

maybe have a few decorations so you could swap one over once a month or something.

I also feed frozen bloodworms off my finger and once he was confident I started to move it away as he goes for it so he now chases my finger around the surface jumping when he gets the chance.

I used to do something very similar with a plastic spoon and live blood worms, I'd have the bloodworm stuck to the underside of the spoon, and get him to jump out of the water to grab the bloodworm. Not too high, just 2 inches or so off the surface of the water.

when I’ve changed decor around or swapped something I always thought it would stress him out but if anything he gets very curious and has a nosy about when I’m done, I can tell it excites him.
Apparently i've read bettas love this changing things around it makes them curious, i can't wait to try some things with my betta, my other one was just pure nasty god knows why :grr:

I bought a leaf hammock for mine off amazon and stuck it near to the water surface as apparently they like a cheeky nap on a leaf. I’ve not seen him use it yet though :(

Apparently i've read bettas love this changing things around it makes them curious, i can't wait to try some things with my betta, my other one was just pure nasty god knows why :grr:
Lol I’ve been very naughty and got another two tanks for two more betta’s so I can’t wait to see the different personalities. They are just too cute.

I used to do something very similar with a plastic spoon and live blood worms, I'd have the bloodworm stuck to the underside of the spoon, and get him to jump out of the water to grab the bloodworm. Not too high, just 2 inches or so off the surface of the water.
I started with a plastic kids knife before my finger and I agree just an inch or so. Makes feeding so much more interesting for them and us.

I bought a leaf hammock for mine off amazon and stuck it near to the water surface as apparently they like a cheeky nap on a leaf. I’ve not seen him use it yet though :(

I bought one of those for Wihtgar. Trust me, this time next month you will be throwing it into the bin.

I started with a plastic kids knife before my finger and I agree just an inch or so. Makes feeding so much more interesting for them and us.

Yes, always best to get any contained animal to 'earn' it's meal, keeps them entertained and healthy, and not just sitting there getting lazy and fat.

Give him time, it took my first betta ages and he used it and they like them for making bubble nests near the surface as well.
Lol I’ve been very naughty and got another two tanks for two more betta’s so I can’t wait to see the different personalities. They are just too cute.
My husbands just treated me to a 20 litre i'm cycling for another betta, i've got sunny in the hexagon next to it, some days i feel done in running those and sorting my main tank...it's the age :eek::rofl:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back