Does my betta have ich?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Killerbro511

Reaction score
I recently got a betta like a week ago and i always saw him rubbing against rocks and what looked like him peeling his slime coat off. Now he has develoved all of these white spots and i need to diagnose him quickly because i heard that if ich is untreated it can kill your whole tank.

I have started dosing tri sulphur tablets as a friend had some left over but i havent seen any results yet.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220514_085313.jpg
    20220514_085313.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220514_085342.jpg
    20220514_085342.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 44
i'd say he does, medication does not really do much to ich if the temperature is not high
just raise the temperature to 86f

(thanks @Byron )

i'd say he does, medication does not really do much to ich if the temperature is not high
just raise the temperature to 86f

(thanks @Byron )
I also have ember tetras and red cherry shrimp in my tank would the change in temperature be too stressfull for them or should it be fine

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the aquarium water?

Was the fish in a tank with other types of fish when you got it?

How long has the tank been set up for?

---------------------
It looks more like excess mucous but could be white spot.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week and see if it helps.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Post pictures if it changes.

---------------------
TREATING WHITE SPOT
Triple Sulpha can treat white spot if that is the problem. However, male Siamese fighting fish (Betta splendens) do not normally get white spot because they are not normally kept with other fish.

Triple Sulpha is also safe for invertebrates (shrimp & snails).

Heat can be used to treat white spot. You simply raise the water temperature to 30C and keep it there for 2 weeks, or at least 1 week after all the spots have gone. Then reduce the temp.

Before raising the temperature, do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate. this helps remove some of the diseases/ parasites in the water and provides a cleaner environment for the fish.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence when using chemicals, salt or raising the temperature because they all reduce the oxygen level in the water.

Remove carbon from filters before using chemical medications ( like Triple Sulpha) or the carbon will remove the medication form the water and the fish won't be treated.

---------------------
To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove these before measuring the height of the water level so you get a more accurate water volume.

You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the aquarium water?

Was the fish in a tank with other types of fish when you got it?

How long has the tank been set up for?

---------------------
It looks more like excess mucous but could be white spot.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week and see if it helps.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Post pictures if it changes.

---------------------
TREATING WHITE SPOT
Triple Sulpha can treat white spot if that is the problem. However, male Siamese fighting fish (Betta splendens) do not normally get white spot because they are not normally kept with other fish.

Triple Sulpha is also safe for invertebrates (shrimp & snails).

Heat can be used to treat white spot. You simply raise the water temperature to 30C and keep it there for 2 weeks, or at least 1 week after all the spots have gone. Then reduce the temp.

Before raising the temperature, do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate. this helps remove some of the diseases/ parasites in the water and provides a cleaner environment for the fish.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence when using chemicals, salt or raising the temperature because they all reduce the oxygen level in the water.

Remove carbon from filters before using chemical medications ( like Triple Sulpha) or the carbon will remove the medication form the water and the fish won't be treated.

---------------------
To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove these before measuring the height of the water level so you get a more accurate water volume.

You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.
i got my water testedd ad they said they were perfectly fine.

not that i know of was when i got him he was in a seperate betta tank but it may have shared the same waters as others. i got him about a week ago

about a year and a half

will the temp change kill or damage my plants as its quite heavily planted and id rather not lose them

the picture doesn't really show it well but there are little white dots all over the main body of the fish

Aquarium plants and tropical fish can usually take 30C for a couple of weeks. However, don't use heat and chemicals/ medications at the same time. Just use one or the other but not both together.

i got my water testedd ad they said they were perfectly fine.

For future reference, always ask the store for the actual numbers of any water tests. What they consider "fine" might be quite the opposite.

Aquarium plants and tropical fish can usually take 30C for a couple of weeks. However, don't use heat and chemicals/ medications at the same time. Just use one or the other but not both together.
i did my first dose of tri sulphar two days ago and tomorrow im doing the second dose where ill increase the strength. how long should i wait after the second dose to start heat treatment?

You don't use heat and chemicals.
Just use the triple sulpha because you have already started using it.

You don't use heat and chemicals.
Just use the triple sulpha because you have already started using it.
how long after the second dose should i wait before doing a water change.

also update, i started feeding him garlic soaked flakes and the spots have lessened but still present . not sure if that means they're gone for good though.

i did my second dose of tri sulpha at higher concentration today and am waiting to see results for that

It you are going to do a water change, you do it before adding another dose.
eg: the next dose is today, so you do a big water change and gravel clean today and then treat the tank after the water change.

White spot is either on the fish or off the fish. If it loosens and seems to lift off slightly, it isn't white spot. White spot also drops off the fish after 2-4 days (depending on the temperature).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back