Does Different Types Of Music Change A Fish'S Behaviour?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hihi100202

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So, I'v decided to do A small experiment...

Question: Will playing different types of music change a male beta's behavior?

Hypothesis: If I play Different types of music, then latte the betta will react differently because of the vibrations of different music.

Procedure:
1. Observe fish before music is played
2. Turn on music (rock,rap,hip-hop,classical,and country)
3. Observe fish

I'm going to start presumably on November 28 2009

Feel Free to add any suggestions

Ive read about something like this and the outcome was no effect, they used to believe it did and discovered there is no effect on fish in general with music and behavior.

Said nothing about betta fish though just fish in general.

I'm going to say no effect. I have a tank right next to my radio. Fish and the toad who lives in it don't react to the music.

I'm going to say that it is a great idea to explore.

What kind of samples of fish will you be using? Will you use the same fish for each type of music? How do you intend to define each type of music to make the experiment repeatable? Do you have a working definition of the types of behavior that you might see? Some things you might want to define would be rapid movement, seeking shelter/hiding, casual open display in the tank, etc. This will mean that the observations will not just be random thoughts at the moment but can be fit into a framework where you can look for the change in frequency of each behavior type associated with each type of music.

The only way to really learn is through people having the interest to experiment. Designing the experiment can be quite a challenge though.

well, i'll be using a betta, and yes the same fish each time. I will use one song and repeat the song for 30 minuets.
Songs i will use:
rock-Unholy by KISS
rap- ?
hip-hop- ?
classical- Beethoven's symphony no.9
country- Good times by Charlie Robison

On the whole I've never noticed any major reaction to music being played. My catfish do enjoy being sung to though. :blush: But I suspect that has more to do with voice recognition. I have found certain voices can cause fish to react differently with some fish (usually longer lived species). Best of luck with the experiment. I would watch with any music with a heavy beat as the vibrations may upset a fish...but again this isn't specific to any, just as some animals hate fireworks noises or storms, others happily take it in their stride.
P.

well, i guess you all were right. my beta did not react in any unusual way to the music being played

Interesting idea I am sure any music we would play would sound very odd due to it travelling through water.

But that's conjecture on my part.

Sometimes in the afternoon when I am off duty and the wife is at work I like to put a bit of classical music on and I have always liked to think my fish like it to :-( I have observed my Clown loaches playing and swimming vigorously when I put the radio or a cd on, but then again there always doing that :nod: :good:

Miss Dib Dabs don't be embarrassed about singing to your fish I make clicking noises to my clown Loaches when Im going to feed them :blink: My wife is thinking of calling the men in white coats :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Regards onebto

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back