Does API TAP WATER conditioner remove Heavy Metals, Chlorine and Chloramines?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rollxr

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I have a question, can API tap water conditioner remove chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals? It says here, but i wanted to be sure.

Attachments

• C727ABAF-9F6A-4CA6-A1E6-FBECE0528C6B.jpeg
    C727ABAF-9F6A-4CA6-A1E6-FBECE0528C6B.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 34
  • F9129117-0D0B-4BF4-8C21-8DA70E9B88B2.jpeg
    F9129117-0D0B-4BF4-8C21-8DA70E9B88B2.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 7DF95BD1-0A74-48A1-85FB-DCD96144A783.jpeg
    7DF95BD1-0A74-48A1-85FB-DCD96144A783.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 17
  • ACDB07BC-C1C0-4607-8540-2F0D4B4F0778.jpeg
    ACDB07BC-C1C0-4607-8540-2F0D4B4F0778.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 15
Yes. It does. API is a well known brand. I use their dechlorinating products for my tank.

Yes. It does. API is a well known brand. I use their dechlorinating products for my tank.
Alright, also I have a 20 gallon tank, and plan to do a 40% water change. How much of the API TAP Water conditioner i should use? Im not very clear with the dosage, i want to remove the heavy metals, chlorine, chloramines. If i dose under 5 ml, will it still remove everything all at once? Does the packaging need to be correct information?

Alright, also I have a 20 gallon tank, and plan to do a 40% water change. How much of the API TAP Water conditioner i should use? Im not very clear with the dosage, i want to remove the heavy metals, chlorine, chloramines. If i dose under 5 ml, will it still remove everything all at once? Does the packaging need to be correct information?
I would dose it to the amount needed for 20g or if you use buckets to fill the tank, calculate how kuch is needed in the bucket.

I would dose it to the amount needed for 20g or if you use buckets to fill the tank, calculate how kuch is needed in the bucket.
Ok, and also does the api tap water conditioner remove the chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals all at one dose correct?

Ok, and also does the api tap water conditioner remove the chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals all at one dose correct?
Yes. Read the directions in the bottle. I think for heavy metals you have to up the dose a LITTLE but read the back of the bottle to be certain

Yes. Read the directions in the bottle. I think for heavy metals you have to up the dose a LITTLE but read the back of the bottle to be certain
Well since it says, (to remove chlorine and detoxify heavy metals:, add 1 ml for each 20 gallons of aquarium water. (To detoxify chloramines: Add 5 ml for each 30 u.s. gallons.). My main question was that, for my new fresh water bucket, can I add 1 ml of the api tap water conditioner to remove the chlorine and detoxify heavy metals? And then the second dose, can I have 5 ml to detoxify chloramines? So that it detoxifies chloramines, heavy metals and removes chlorine in all in one go. Can this be fine or no?

Well since it says, (to remove chlorine and detoxify heavy metals:, add 1 ml for each 20 gallons of aquarium water. (To detoxify chloramines: Add 5 ml for each 30 u.s. gallons.). My main question was that, for my new fresh water bucket, can I add 1 ml of the api tap water conditioner to remove the chlorine and detoxify heavy metals? And then the second dose, can I have 5 ml to detoxify chloramines? So that it detoxifies chloramines, heavy metals and removes chlorine in all in one go. Can this be fine or no?
You are over thinking things like I do now .😂

No you don't need two separate doses. It should just be one.
How much water is in your bucket when you are pouring it into the tank?

I am not over thinking, i am fully trying to ask is that 1 DOSE of the Api water conditioner going to remove the chlorineand detoxify chloramine and heavy metals?

Well i’d say 4 gallons then the second time i get the water out of the tank when the second bucket gets full, is 4 gallons again. So i’m adding 8 gallons total.

API Tap Water Conditioner removes chlorine and detoxifies metals.
Your tap water will have either chlorine or chloramine, not both. If it has chlorine, add 1 ml per 20 gallons. If your tap water has chloramine add 5 ml per 20 gallons. This is higher as it needs to split chloramine into chlorine and ammonia then remove the chlorine.
The lower dose will bind all metals.

It also depends how you are filling the tank, using a bucket or a hose. I emailed API to ask and this is what they said.

If pre-mixing water, you are able to just add only the amount for the exchange.

However, when adding water directly to the tank from a hose, you will need to dose the amount for the entire aquarium gallons. This ensures that the product is adequately mixed throughout, for proper and immediate dechlorination. To keep your fishes safe.

When a tank is filled for the first time, use enough to treat all the water.
When you do a water change, if you are using a bucket to refill use the amount needed to treat the water in the bucket only. The water in the tank has already been treated so you only need to remove the chlorine and bind the metals in the new water.
If you use a hose pipe to refill the tank during a water change, API says to add enough for the amount of all the water in the tank.

Well i’d say 4 gallons then the second time i get the water out of the tank when the second bucket gets full, is 4 gallons again. So i’m adding 8 gallons total.
Do you refill with a 4 gallon bucket? If you do, add 0.2 ml Tap Water Conditioner to the bucket if your tap water has chlorine, or 1 ml if it has chloramine. You can buy babies' medicine dosing syringes which will measure these small amounts.

Just an addional - that bottle treats 9400 gallons for chlorine (less for chloramine). it will last for ages. Keep an eye on the use by date as you may find you still have a lot left by then.

Perhaps semantics, but water conditioners don't remove anything since removal would be extraction. What they can do is neutralize or detoxify chlorine, chloramine, and/or heavy metals. But there's a 'price to be paid'. It has been written that heavy metal detox prevents plants from taking them in which would even be a detriment if one was also using a plant fertilizer product. Also, with chloramines, although the chlorine/ammonia bond is broken and the ammonia is neutralized or converted to relatively harmless ammonium, the tank (plants and/or beneficial bacteria) must deal with the result...(see Partial Water Changes: A Possible Failure). :)

I should really say that thiosulfate based dechlorinators, such as API Tap Water Conditioner, convert chlorine into chloride.

Substances such as EDTA which is in API Tap Water Conditioner form metal complexes with metal ions. So instead of being free in the water, these metal ions are complexed with EDTA.

Just an addional - that bottle treats 9400 gallons for chlorine (less for chloramine). it will last for ages. Keep an eye on the use by date as you may find you still have a lot left by then.
So that conditioner can never detoxify chloramine?!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back