Does Anyone Quarantine Plants?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
After my ich problems, Ip don’t want to introduce anything new into my tank without QT. Does anyone QT plants and if so how and for how long?

I didnt, but I read you can leave them in a bucket for 2 weeks with some light and a couple water changes

I didnt, but I read you can leave them in a bucket for 2 weeks with some light and a couple water changes
I think I’ll do that. I have some coming and hopefully, my ich is finally gone. I also still have 19 neons waiting in QT to go in main tank. Poor babies are probably giving up. They’ve been in there almost 5 weeks.

I think I’ll do that. I have some coming and hopefully, my ich is finally gone. I also still have 19 neons waiting in QT to go in main tank. Poor babies are probably giving up. They’ve been in there almost 5 weeks.
At least it's a 20 long so they have plenty of room

I have been, I check them over and give them a rise in tap water, Then I put them into a clear plastic container with tap water. I add flourish at full strength dosage and let them sit in the sun for a week or so.

I have been, I check them over and give them a rise in tap water, Then I put them into a clear plastic container with tap water. I add flourish at full strength dosage and let them sit in the sun for a week or so.
@Retired Viking - Indoors, I presume? Do you just let them float?

@Retired Viking - Indoors, I presume? Do you just let them float?
When it is nice I put them on the back deck with a clear plastic lid on to keep out the bugs. I do just let them float. I am doing it now with some ferns I just bought today.I add a little extra flourish too since I do not have to worry about my fish.

Last edited:
Yes, I will definitely QT them.
It's too risky.

I might be going to buy some plants this week to start a new tank with plants.
First I will rinse them a few times with tap water.
Then follow by 20-30 minutes soaking in Copper Safe(high dosage) or Potassium Permanganate and rinse them again.
I hope it won't kill the plants.
Then I will put them in a transparent container for 1-2 weeks.
I will put them near the sunlight and covered them with plastic mesh or acrylic sheets to prevent mosquitoes from breeding.

I will change the container water frequently and probably put liquid fertilizer.

Last edited:
Thanks. I spray mine with hydrogen peroxide but going to start quarantining also. :)

Are you asking because you think your ich came from some new plants you bought?

No. But I only ever buy in-vitro plants or take cuttings from another tank.

No. But I only ever buy in-vitro plants or take cuttings from another tank.
Pretty much the same thing with me. All of the Anancharis I have ever kept, came from 4 small stems. I just let them grow, timed them, and replanted the trimmings.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back