Does anyone know what this is?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dillibazarsadak

Reaction score
It hitched on from some plants that I borrowed from my friend. It looks okay when its on its own like in the picture below. But it's wrapping around my other plants and blocking their access to light. I took a lot of it out, but it keeps coming back. And as you can see, it's too tangled up with the other plants. Please help! How do I get rid of this.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-05-23 20-22-25.png
    Screenshot from 2020-05-23 20-22-25.png
    284.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 20200523_200003.jpg
    20200523_200003.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 145
Yes, that is totally algae...what kind is the question, but more importantly, getting rid of it. There is probably some imbalance in your tank if it's growing like the one in the second picture.

I see. I have a lot of shrimp in the tank, but still they are not able clear all of this. I take it out by hand. But it just keeps spawning.

I see. I have a lot of shrimp in the tank, but still they are not able clear all of this. I take it out by hand. But it just keeps spawning.

Yes you can manually remove it and the shrimp will help, but will not solve the issue. You have to find out the cause of the algae. Most of the time it's due to intense lighting, too much waste in the tank, lack of proper water changes, etc. It's a process of investigation when it comes to algae, but there are the usual suspects as I mentioned. You might also see if your tank is near a window where lots of sun hits it.

The algae pictured is Cladophora. This is a branching, green filamentous alga, that forms a moss like structure which is why it can often be taken for Java Moss. I had this appear at the surface in my 10g tank a couple of years ago and initially didn't notice it as it was mixed in with the moss. It never became a problem, I pulled a bit out a couple times, but it may not have had suitable conditions to grow more. This algae doesn't appear to be slimy. Threads are very strong and very thin. It grows on rocks and submersed wood exposed to direct light, and in extreme cases will grow on plants also. Usually it tends to stay on one spot, which makes it easy to remove. Comb it. In a case where Cladophora takes over the grassy plants, mow the plants like the lawn. No algae eater is known to eat this kind of algae.

The algae pictured is Cladophora. This is a branching, green filamentous alga, that forms a moss like structure which is why it can often be taken for Java Moss. I had this appear at the surface in my 10g tank a couple of years ago and initially didn't notice it as it was mixed in with the moss. It never became a problem, I pulled a bit out a couple times, but it may not have had suitable conditions to grow more. This algae doesn't appear to be slimy. Threads are very strong and very thin. It grows on rocks and submersed wood exposed to direct light, and in extreme cases will grow on plants also. Usually it tends to stay on one spot, which makes it easy to remove. Comb it. In a case where Cladophora takes over the grassy plants, mow the plants like the lawn. No algae eater is known to eat this kind of algae.
Thank you so much for the detailed reply! Yes it definitely seems to be Cladophora. I'm glad that I have a name to put on it. It is not slimy, and has the hairy texture you are talking about. Pictures on the internet seem to look like what I have.

Also, thank you everyone for your advice on the usual cuprits. I will follow that, and hopefully after I get rid of it I will post an update on what worked.
Take care everyone.

I too have this problem, I cannot keep it at bay and it just keeps taking over more and more of my tank! It's even taking hold all over the other plants leaves, will it end up killing them? Is there anything I can use that will kill it but not my fish and other plants?

Attachments

• 20200525_110040.jpg
    20200525_110040.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 20200525_110030.jpg
    20200525_110030.jpg
    558.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 20200525_105958.jpg
    20200525_105958.jpg
    959.4 KB · Views: 112
I too have this problem, I cannot keep it at bay and it just keeps taking over more and more of my tank! It's even taking hold all over the other plants leaves, will it end up killing them? Is there anything I can use that will kill it but not my fish and other plants?

No there is nothing safe to use, because anything strong enough to kill algae will inevitably harm or kill plants, and certainly harm fish. Problem algae is due to an imbalance of light/nutrients, so restoring or establishing the balance for that tank is the only way to thwart problem algae.

Just wondering...
Is some, amount or type, of algae ok?

Yes. There is absolutely nothing "bad" about algae in an aquarium. Algae occurs in natural waters, it is part of a healthy ecosystem, and it is similarly to be expected in a healthy aquarium. Surfaces submerged will develop a biofilm, and algae will grow as part of this. An aquarium without algae would be a very unhealthy environment for fish--and everything else for that matter.

The problem is when algae takes over and begins to harm the plants. Without plants, algae is good because it uses light and nutrients and produces oxygen just as higher plants do. But higher plants if present do this faster and better (per volume) because they use more nutrients faster so water quality improves more. Algae that begins to harm/kill plants is what I term "problem algae," and this must be kept in check.

it's green filamentous algae.

do regular water changes and gravel cleaning.
try to physically remove the algae.

No there is nothing safe to use, because anything strong enough to kill algae will inevitably harm or kill plants, and certainly harm fish. Problem algae is due to an imbalance of light/nutrients, so restoring or establishing the balance for that tank is the only way to thwart problem algae.
My tank does get a bit of light, but this algae problem started from a moss ball I had gotten for some shrimp that were in the tank. Now it's taken hold and I don't know what to do!!! The regular slimy green algae was no problem to control simply with my gold algae eater you can see in the photo and by cutting the light. But this stuff is something else, any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20200525_105958.jpg
    20200525_105958.jpg
    959.4 KB · Views: 124
My tank does get a bit of light, but this algae problem started from a moss ball I had gotten for some shrimp that were in the tank. Now it's taken hold and I don't know what to do!!! The regular slimy green algae was no problem to control simply with my gold algae eater you can see in the photo and by cutting the light. But this stuff is something else, any suggestions?

Do what Colin suggested in the previous post. You need to be doing regular (once a week) substantial (60-70% of the tank volume) water changes. Vacuum into the substrate in open areas during the W/C. Keep the filter clean. Don't overfeed, and don't overstock. Control the light...intensity is one aspect, then there is duration. Reduce the photoperiod may help.

What do you mean by get a bit of light...if this is from a window, this should be lessened as much as possible, and never allow direct sunlight to reach the tank.

I've looked extensively online, but it seems the consensus is that nothing eats them. Some people report amano shrimps, and siamese algae eaters do. You can try if you like.
If you can't beat them join them. I've decided to have it as part of the decor. If they start to cloud my other plants, it means that they're big enough to be physically removed. It's a pain, but it seems this breed of algae is immortal.

Most reactions

trending

Back