Does anyone know what all this stuff is floating in my tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DGJ

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So on Thursday I did a full tank clean and water change and fully cleaned every bit of the canister filter.

came down Friday and was greeted by an absolutely crystal clear tank. Even woke the wife up to show her (she wasn’t impressed).

fast forward to today and I have this absolute mess this evening? Nothing has changed

does anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• 402431F7-5C04-4DCE-80DD-50C50C2F53F1.png
    402431F7-5C04-4DCE-80DD-50C50C2F53F1.png
    133.1 KB · Views: 75
Are they floating particles? Or are they stationary? What color are they?

Did you have any equipment/décor that you have used before, that may have had dust/dirt/dried algae on it?

full cleanings may have stuff being scrubbed off decor
that is sucked up but then maybe more is being peeled

Shine a dim torch into the aquarium at night to observe if you are looking at live worms, could be planaria worms. Hard to tell from a fuzzy photo. Best not to clean filters aggressively or frequently possible dislodged micro fibre from the filter.

I've done a 50% water change and had a good vacuum of the substrate.

I think it is Detritus, the filter doesn't seem to be cleaning very well.

Is this due to a lack of flow? Should I get a powerhead to create more flow? The spray bar is at one end pushing water back to the other end where the intake is.
I have a large piece of spider wood at the end the filter is at, could this be reducing the effectiveness of the intake?
I also have the internal filter on that side, could that be causing an issue?

I think it is Detritus, the filter doesn't seem to be cleaning very well.
Did you stir the detritus or anything before it started clouding up? If so, it's probably detritus, though I don't think it would stay suspended that long.

Though maybe if your filters spilled some stuff out, I've done that a couple times and it takes a bit to clear.
Is this due to a lack of flow? Should I get a powerhead to create more flow? The spray bar is at one end pushing water back to the other end where the intake is.
I have a large piece of spider wood at the end the filter is at, could this be reducing the effectiveness of the intake?
I also have the internal filter on that side, could that be causing an issue?
It depends, how much flow is there. Or it could just be you don't have a small enough material to pick up the particles. What mechanical filtration do you have. I don't think the driftwood could reduce the flow. And the internal canister filter should just increase the amount getting to the filter by stirring the water around.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back